ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
And now officially marked as EOGA. Sad, as this is was how I got started on VMware.
I sure hope they don't go for VMUG next.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Oh I think it's safe to assume that they are looking at how to chop that tentacle off as well...
I had already made my mind up to transition to Proxmox when they began ripping out the linux driver support, the only question was when, which I think has now been answered, to the lifeboats gentlemen :)

Ed.

Oct 4, 2014
What's the general consensus for another Type 1 hypervisor that will run 1 or 2 VM's and not require a technical knowledge of Linux and so forth, and free would be good! I am thinking of a Win 11 and a Server 2019 or 2022 VM. (not at the same time.)
Thanks.

Jun 9, 2023
USA
www.youtube.com
I'm really bummed about it. I doubt my small business could afford/justify the licensing cost for Vsphere. I don't do anything serious with my servers beyond TrueNAS and some random windows VMs. Wish I would have grabbed the stuff for 8 before it was gone. Time to learn Proxmox like everyone else. Although I am also considering unraid.

Ed.

Oct 4, 2014
Yep, me too. I also just get really annoyed when the manufacturers make really powerful hardware and only provide drivers for WIN 10 and 11 plus a couple of others but none for Server 20xx, at least the included wifi 6 connection is working under Server 2019 otherwise I would not even be able to connect to the web on my new PC

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
does anyone know of good companies to partner with to do a proxmox POC? Like most vmware shops, we are looking into alternatives for when broadcom comes calling with the 3x (10x?) price increase.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
The issue is not VMware, the issue is no more super easy backup with Veeam. Think backup first. 3-2-1 minimum. People bitten most will be those with small clusters and storage. There is no VMFS on ProxMox, you will need a different strategy. Ceph might be one, but it's complicated and really for 5+ or 7+ box clusters. Way less hardware qualification going on. But your typical bean counter wants to tick his boxes, it's what he lives for. For small shops even the incoming increase for the license might be lower than paying some rare ProxMox guru to set everything up. Unless they really want 10x as much. Also forget the support in person, KB or bust. Last time I called them up was 15 years ago for a Windows Server 2003 snapshot problem. You are paying for upgrade rights (new hardware) and security updates (whammy every couple of months now) only imho.

Ed.

Oct 4, 2014
Unfortunately I have had to give up on running a type 1 hypervisor, it appears that my new system has too many incompatible hardware bits for them to install properly. I tried a couple of different types and then gave up. So I ended up installing Server 2022 and I have installed VMware Pro. Even with Server 2022, I am missing two or three hardware drivers but the majority are working fine.

Reactions: NachoCDN

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
Move to the cloud. Use a cloud service provider/managed service provider like your local telco (example: Cincinnati bell) to do the migration for you and operate it for you if you are so inclined.

you’re either on modern hardware with warranties and service contracts—because you understand the value of your Crown Jewels—in which case moving to the cloud won’t be a huge price increase. Or you’re milking 10-year old hardware with expired warranties and no support contract because somebody didn’t see the non sequitur that is running important things on old shitty stuff, in which case moving to the cloud might be expensive but is probably an improvement you needed irrespective of VMware license changes.

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
for my homelab i decided to turn to proxmox versus the free version of esxi. time to learn a new platform!

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
Migrating to a mix of Server 2022 with Hyper-V and Proxmox for at home.

At work we are looking at Server 2022 with Hyper-V (2025 rebuilds this coming winter), most of the hosts are already licensed for datacenter and all the third party integrations are already there. Veeam integrations are the same as they are with VMware and the larger vendor virtual appliances are available in vmware and hyper-v flavors, some have kvm support but not all. Even if MS looks to phase out Hyper-V down the road, Server 2025 with Hyper-V will still be fully supported till sometime in 2034 (or later depending on ship date). With the change we are looking at possibly picking up MS Unified Support (replacement for premier support) but haven't committed to it yet.

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
There is also SmartOS with Triton Data Center, which is KVM, Bhyve, Docker, LX zones everything, and is quite mature, based in Illumos. For single machines you could also just go with OmniOS with more or less same functionality, but this is all CLI, very stable, with built in-kernel ZFS, SMB shares, virtual networks, easy backup with ZFS send-receive etc..

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
xpc-ng or proxmox, both will do. Free, simple to install.
eh, no. xcp-ng is like running the “gateway drug” version of xenserver, which in itself is infected with multiple layers of Citrix-ness. i mean, Citrix can be “fun” if you are an admin or partner with a free license pool to play with (xenapp and xendesktop isn’t a bad idea per-se) , but you will very quickly discover that it’s just old Linux (XenServer 8.2 is xcp-ng 8.2 is kernel 4.16 with an old userland), and unless you plan to run a trading floor for a bank and need to run nearly-bullet-proof VDI? It’s just not fun on hobbyist (i.e retired enterprise or obsolete) hardware. you really want to lean towards proxmox here.

BobTB

Jul 19, 2019
I am actually leaning to use Triton Data Center (on premise install), with SmartOS, so far as I tried it is very nice. Has API for everything and you can also use GUI. Its just a little steeper learning curve compared to what I was used to (esxi). Needs a headnonde + compute nodes, which boot from PXE, no boot disk needed for compute nodes.

1710837909612.png

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
eh, no. xcp-ng is like running the “gateway drug” version of xenserver, which in itself is infected with multiple layers of Citrix-ness. i mean, Citrix can be “fun” if you are an admin or partner with a free license pool to play with (xenapp and xendesktop isn’t a bad idea per-se) , but you will very quickly discover that it’s just old Linux (XenServer 8.2 is xcp-ng 8.2 is kernel 4.16 with an old userland), and unless you plan to run a trading floor for a bank and need to run nearly-bullet-proof VDI? It’s just not fun on hobbyist (i.e retired enterprise or obsolete) hardware. you really want to lean towards proxmox here.
XCP-ng + Xen Orchestra for web based use/management of multiple hosts is one of the easiest/cleanest experiences I've had with a hypervisor - and handling 3-2-1 backups to offsite storage as well. The kernel you're talking about is just the dom0 management/advisory VM, xen itself is running on bare hardware, and the advisory VM (dom0) is not on bleeding edge kernels for a reason (it doesn't need to be, for starters). works great on any x86 hardware I've tried it on

1713355302403.png

Can proxmox even manage multiple servers (not clustered) from a single UI yet?

Last edited: