Smallest EVPN-VXLAN Capable Switch?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zzachattack2

Oct 14, 2023
Any recommendations on the smallest/quietest switch that supports EVPN-VXLAN with multihoming?

I understand that what I would really want (small form factor, fanless, with 8-10 SFP+ ports) probably doesn’t exist, but trying to get as close to there as possible. Used/refurbished gear is fine, but trying to avoid a giant, noisy, 100w-idle beast.

Only requirement other than EVPN is at least 8 SFP+ ports. I wouldn’t mind a white box solution, but I’m struggling to find much down in the 10G range or that isn’t a full 48 port TOR.

altmind

Sep 23, 2018
Maybe CCR2004-1G-12S+2XS? You can check on the VM if the vxlan/evpn implementation is complete enough.

wifiholic

Mar 27, 2018
If EVPN is a hard requirement, that rules out Mikrotik. I'm not sure it really meets your definition of "small," and they're not particularly cheap on the used market, but the Dell S4112F and S5212F switches are half width (albeit deeper than they are wide), and should do proper VXLAN EVPN with Dell's OS10 (and the S5212F at least is on the HCL for SONiC).

zzachattack2

Oct 14, 2023
Thanks, yeah that mikrotik would be ideal, but doesn’t look like it runs EVPN. Wonder if it’s on the roadmap for RouterOS?

The dells wouldn’t be too terrible size wise, but yeah definitely not cheap on the used market.