SFP-10G-T for Mellanox?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
I have 6com SFP-10g-T modules, they work in both my ubiquiti switch and my extreme networks switch. They don't seem to work at all in the Mellanox MCX4121A-ACAT cards I have. Can anyone recommend SFP-10G-T modules that are known to work?

Thanks,

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Is the card using generic Mellanox or an OEM firmware? I seem to remember seeing someone else on here having issues with vendor locking on transceivers on his OEM NIC before flashing the generic Mellanox firnware.

You can probably figure that out from the PSID. :)

NOTE: I'm just guessing here. Could definitely be something else.

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
Is the card using generic Mellanox or an OEM firmware? I seem to remember seeing someone else on here having issues with vendor locking on transceivers on his OEM NIC before flashing the generic Mellanox firnware.

You can probably figure that out from the PSID. :)

NOTE: I'm just guessing here. Could definitely be something else.
It's Dell re-flashed to generic Mellanox.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
U sure those work in cards? I've ever only seen them on the switch end.

Also the MCX4121A-ACAT is a 25g card - u forced it to 10g?

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017

Also the MCX4121A-ACAT is a 25g card - u forced it to 10g?
I'm not sure if they are compatible or not, that's why I'm posing the issue here :) Hoping those more experienced with Mellanox than I have an answer. Mellanox lists the card as able to use SFP+ and SFP28.

MLX5CMD indicates the below, so it seems to recognize it, but windows still shows the cable unplugged.

Adapter: Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx Ethernet Adapter #4
Location (PCI bus, device, function): (4,0,1)
Operational Info
State : Polling
Active protocol : Ethernet
Physical state : 0
Active link speed : Unknown
Enabled PHY manager link speed : {25.00 Gbps, 10.00 Gbps, 1.00 Gbps}
Enabled core to PHY link speed : {10.00 Gbps, 1.00 Gbps}
Active negotiation mode : 4
Loopback mode : 0
FEC : 0
Cable supported speeds : {10.00 Gbps}

Troubleshoot Info
Status Opcode : 0
Group Opcode : 0

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
It's Dell re-flashed to generic Mellanox.
Good. That shouldn't be an issue then. :)

I'm fairly sure they are supposed to work in NICs too.

I'm not sure if they are compatible or not, that's why I'm posing the issue here :) Hoping those more experienced with Mellanox than I have an answer. Mellanox lists the card as able to use SFP+ and SFP28.

MLX5CMD indicates the below, so it seems to recognize it, but windows still shows the cable unplugged.
Could you try live booting a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Debian and see if it behaves differently? At the same time, you could collect and paste the output of "sudo ethtool -m [interface_name]" here.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Is there a technical reason for these restrictions? Or just the usual enshitification of a way too nice product like CX3 was?

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
I have the same cards in two servers running on DAC's to my switch. Are DAC's not vendor coded?

nexox

May 3, 2023
I just tried out a few 10GBaseT modules (including a 6COM) in my MCX416A-CCAT with a QSA28 adapter and none would make a link to 10G or 1G network ports, though a SFP+ DAC worked fine. Good thing I didn't expect to run my 100G cards over CAT6.

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
I just tried out a few 10GBaseT modules (including a 6COM) in my MCX416A-CCAT with a QSA28 adapter and none would make a link to 10G or 1G network ports, though a SFP+ DAC worked fine. Good thing I didn't expect to run my 100G cards over CAT6.
Interesting. I'm curious to see if it is a brand lock thing or something else. I have a 10gbaseT model that claims to be coded for Mellanox on the way for testing.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
I have the same cards in two servers running on DAC's to my switch. Are DAC's not vendor coded?
DACs are vendor coded. Some NIC vendors don't enforce their vendor locks on DACs though from what I've been told, only on fiber (and possibly 10GBase-T) transceivers.

My understanding is that it's because vendor locking a cable with permanently attached ends becomes very hard for their customers to use, especially for vendors like Intel who don't make switches etc. You'd require DACs with different vendor codes on each end, which is something only available from third party DACs, defeating the entire point.

Reactions: nexox

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
I received a 10gtek 10baseT SFP today from amazon that is coded for Mellanox and it works fine in the card. So, it is definitely vendor lock.

Reactions: blunden

Jamy

Mar 29, 2017
Other weirdness, it shows that it is connected at 10g to a gigabit desktop switch... lol

1708136670772.png

nexox

May 3, 2023
I bet that will lead to dropped frames if you get past 800Mbps or so, you might need to force it to 1G rather than trust auto negotiation.