Add TPM to Supermicro Motherboard?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016

I'm looking at Supermicro TPM's and was wondering which would be needed for an AMD Epyc 7002 series CPU running on a Supermicro H11SSL series motherboard running Windows 10/11 Pro as a workstation?

According to Supermicro, AOM-TPM-9665V is the correct part number, but there are 3 different variations (no letter, -S, and -C) and I'm not sure which would be needed. Is the TXT* support an Intel or Server only instruction set on the TPM? Since I'm running Windows 10/11 Pro as a workstation, I would assume that fits more in the "Client" role, thus the -C part number, but that part only seems to support Intel CPU's. Maybe the plain AOM-TPM-9665V is what I need? Anyone looked into this before?

Model #Form FactorTXT*MB PlatformSupported CPUs
AOM-TPM-9665VVerticalN/AIntelAny MBs with TPM support
AOM-TPM-9665V-SVerticalServerIntel,

AMD
Intel® Xeon® E5/E7,

AMD EPYC™ 7000 Series
AOM-TPM-9665V-CVerticalClientIntelIntel® Core i5/i7 & Xeon® E3 processors

ebroock

Jun 24, 2016
I have a Xeon E5. From this table our options are only V or V-S.
Expanding your question, using V-S and activating TXT support makes sense in a workstation? Is TXT support useful or only adds complexity to manage it locally.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I don’t think I need TXT with an AMD platform, but I guess I’m unsure of that. Maybe the -V option is the best way to go for a non-server roll AMD Epyc workstation?

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
I Believe that the 9665V-S is supported for intels TXT. AMD platform does not have this. I think you would need the plain 9665V version.

Reactions: TXAG26

barmalej

May 31, 2019
Has anyone got TPM working on Supermicro H11SSL? I have that mobo with 2nd gen Epyc. I bought AOM-TPM-9665V, but cannot enable TPM in esxi. I also noticed that a most of the settings described in the manual under Trusted Computing are missing. Wondering if AOM-TPM-9665V-S is required.

Code:
esxcli system settings encryption set --mode=TPM
Unable to change the encryption mode and policy. Verify that the current host configuration can satisfy the new requirement.