Looking for Business computer replacement

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EL34

Jan 27, 2024
Hi All,
I subscribe to Patrick on YouTube and have watched a bunch of his videos.
I need some suggestions to replace my 11 year old Windows 10 pro business desktop computer.

Here's list of what I currently have and have upgraded over the years
AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10 GHz
16 gigs ram
250Gb Samsung SSD
3 monitors (I need 3 but they are all 1440p)
3 USB printers
5.1 surround system, but stereo will be ok
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to retire the old system and get rid of the under the desk dust sucking system that I have to blow out every now and then
I have several other desktops that I do specific task on
I do all my backups to a NAS that backs up to another NAS every day
I don't need a huge SSD for my business, 250gb is fine
I don't do any high end graphics processing
I don't need a high end graphics card
I don't need multiple RJ45 jacks as I have seen on some mini's
I run a wired 1 gb network
I want a reliable PC and price is not a factor, but keep it reasonable of course. :)

Can anyone point me to a mini that fits my needs?
Thanks

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
For your needs I'd say an HP Z2 Mini is more than enough...if you want to keep it for a decade I don't know that I'd recommend you to buy a used one but you could certainly save a decent chunk of change by avoiding the G9.

It uses standard laptop memory so I personally wouldn't pay HP for memory--their prices are exorbitant--and I would instead buy it on Newegg.

I also wouldn't pay HP for an SSD upgrade for the same reason; I'd buy that on Newegg too.

zachj

Apr 17, 2019
There's a VESA mount available for the HP Z2 that would let you mount it to the back of one of your displays and get it out from under the desk entirely.

EL34

Jan 27, 2024
Thanks all
I was hoping to keep the cost under $400
That's why I was attracted to the mini's I see Patrick reviewing?
I was seeing $900+ for those HP's

EL34

Jan 27, 2024
Regarding that HP computer
I could just put new guts in my desktop for $900

I really want to check out these mini's
There are so many out there and I would like a suggestion for one that would be good for my needs
I see some have multiple ports for monitors

EL34

Jan 27, 2024
I see some mini's with type C ports that can also run a monitor.
So can I run 3 monitors via a couple HDMI's and a type C?

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I picked up an HP Elitedesk Mini G9 (if-12500T processor) with a 500gb NVMe drive, and 16 gb of RAM for just under $500 on ebay. That's a lot of PC for the money. I also picked up a GMKtek N100 based NUC with 8gb of memory and a 256gb NVMe for $130. I use it as a Proxmox virtualization host. I was shocked at how nice it is and how much power it has. Before I stripped out the drive for a larger one, I booted up windows 11 to see how it ran. It was quite snappy for just doing web browsing and office type tasks.

I think any of NUC-like mini PCs from Beelink, Miniforums, etc. would serve you well. Just find one that fits your budget. Something like this for $407 seems to be right up your alley

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
To support multiple monitors on almost any system - get a monitor with MST and daisy-chain the rest.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Not sure I would trust Amazon reviews after having worked there for the last 5.5 years.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
Patrick has much better reviews. Go check out his mini PC videos and find one you like

EL34

Jan 27, 2024
"Not sure I would trust Amazon reviews"

The drivers comment was a bit too much for me.
I do look at reviews and it's easy to tell if they are legit or not

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I already have 3 monitors
You do you. All I was saying that for a long time there has been another way of connecting multiple monitors to a system which does not require matching number of video outputs.

Peter Blanchard

Jun 30, 2022
I see some mini's with type C ports that can also run a monitor.
So can I run 3 monitors via a couple HDMI's and a type C?
If the type C port supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode, you can connect up to 2 x 4K 60Hz displays. I've a USB C "dock" (they are more "dongle" form/size in my mind) that has one DP and two HDMI - the dongles do the conversion from DP to HDMI. HDMI to both VGA and DVI-I exist if you have older monitors. I use DP to DVI-I in one set up.

Thunderbolt docks are more expensive and don't offer any advantages in most use cases.

Sure, using a "dock" can make things messier than having all the ports you need on a mini-PC but depending how many USB devices you have, you might well need a hub anyway. Few come with mounting options. Velcro is your friend though.

iirc, modern integrated graphics typically support three displays max? It was the case for a long time but not sure about the latest generation of solutions. If you ever need to go four monitors, the options aren't great.