Topton i3 N305 device

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thepsyborg

Oct 19, 2023
I can't claim personal experience, but in theory either of those should be more than sufficient to route 2.5Gbe at wire speed with anything short of Deep Packet Inspection (and maybe even that too if you're not also running a really complex firewall ruleset).

Reactions: bbchucks

bbchucks

Nov 2, 2023
I can't claim personal experience, but in theory either of those should be more than sufficient to route 2.5Gbe at wire speed with anything short of Deep Packet Inspection (and maybe even that too if you're not also running a really complex firewall ruleset).
just worried during encryption. once wireguard/vpn is on hoping these will handle at least 1Gigabit

Reactions: gordinho

mynkow

Jan 30, 2024
I got one with the i3-n305. Single port wireguard 1gbit goes to 80% CPU and 78c cpu temperature. I also got 2 crashes during transfers. The machine just restarts. Tried many settings but none of them made a difference.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
just worried during encryption. once wireguard/vpn is on hoping these will handle at least 1Gigabit
I run barebones metal with openwrt, mullvad vpn via Wireguard and hit almost 1gig speeds (am bottlenecked due to 1gig ethernet PC network card), had no issues for over a year with N5105 6 port router and now also N100 6 port router, both do the job fine.

With wire guard its much lighter on the system and multi-threaded so its not like openvpn is.

Anyone having issues with it should try running bare metal pfsense/opensense or openwrt and doing fault checking since it should be more then powerful enough to handle wireguard vpn performance of 1gig+.

mynkow

Jan 30, 2024
I run barebones metal with openwrt, mullvad vpn via Wireguard and hit almost 1gig speeds (am bottlenecked due to 1gig ethernet PC network card), had no issues for over a year with N5105 6 port router and now also N100 6 port router, both do the job fine.

With wire guard its much lighter on the system and multi-threaded so its not like openvpn is.

Anyone having issues with it should try running bare metal pfsense/opensense or openwrt and doing fault checking since it should be more then powerful enough to handle wireguard vpn performance of 1gig+.
This is off-topic. Your CPU has AES built in and plays nicely with wireguard. It is way better than i3-N305.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
This is off-topic. Your CPU has AES built in and plays nicely with wireguard. It is way better than i3-N305.
Hi the N305 and even N100 are the upgrade to my N5105 cpu, all 3 have AES built in also.

They really should be able to handle 1gig+ speeds on Wireguard VPN providers give or take the vpn server capacity.

I also feel while these mini routers are great and passive, they tend to benefit from some active cooling even if its a small fan or 120mm silent fan strapped onto the side.

mynkow

Jan 30, 2024
you are correct. My bad. I was thinking about the Intel's QuickAssist technology which actually matters for wireguard.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
you are correct. My bad. I was thinking about the Intel's QuickAssist technology which actually matters for wireguard.
Only recent generations of QAT have ChaCha20/Poly1305 acceleration. In other words, the older generations of QAT (such as in the Atom C3000 series) don't matter at all for WireGuard.

Thankfully WireGuard is generally very fast in software too, especially with the kernel driver. :)

Reactions: Stovar

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
No worries, these mini systems have a lot of technology and then it changes every 5 minutes.

If you are having specific issues with your mini router though, its a good idea to post a fresh new post where people maybe able to help since these mini routers can be sometimes hit and miss.