Juniper EX4300 w/o Firmware :-(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oct 10, 2019
Hi,
I just got a EX4300 PoE+ Switch, but it does not boot because it is missing its firmware...
Since it is an ebay-buy, I cannot contact Juniper about it.

The other thing in Question, if someone would provide me an image file were I can get the bootoader boot from, is there the base license still "built into the system" or do I have even then only a large, loud and windy paperweight because I have no way to get the "base license" installed?

Don't get me wrong, I never had a Juniper switch until now, so I don't know how the licensing is handled.... I did do some Juniper Firewalls (SRX) back in the days, but currently I am only used to Cisco, Palo Alto and Mikrotik Stuff the last couple of years.
But since Juniper seems to have a very capable bootloader, booting/restoring via tftp/usb shouldn't be an issue as such, I think.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
Are you getting the U boot output from the console when you boot? if not the your SOL and you have a paper weight

Reactions: 4920441

Oct 10, 2019
Hi,

yes U-Boot was complaining in the serial console - I don't have access to the device right now.

Do you have a link to a 'recent' howto howto go on further flashing from USB/tftp/whatever?

The question which bothers me most, is about the base license. Is it a file you have to upload lastly in the step of recovering?

Cheers

Oct 10, 2019
also there is no Base licence on the EX and all the licencing is optional so you can use all the features with a nag message
Thats good to know. I thought you have to download the base license from Juniper, which is difficult to impossible to a refurbished device, I think.

Thank you very much for that Information.

Cheers

Oct 10, 2019
BTW: which Junos is the recommended one for a EX4300? I don't wanna do too fancy stuff, Use all Ports, a dozen of vlans, igmp snooping / querier for IPTV, PoE, that's all - I saw somewhere that 2.5 GBit in the 10 GBit Extension is working as well - that would be pretty cool as well.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers