Does Supermicro X12STL-F Support Rocket Lake / 11th Gen Xeon E3 CPU's?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Does anyone know the answer to the above?

All of Supermicro's documentation only mentions 10th generation (Comet Lake) but 11th Generation (Rocket lake) uses the same socket, RAM, chipset (C252/256), etc. and should at least in theory be hardware compatible, provided the firmware supports it.

I don't know if this was just an oversight on Supermicro's part, or if it is truly not compatible. It would seem like quite an oversight to not do so, so it sounds odd, which is why I am asking.

Appreciate if anyone has any knowledge on this matter to share.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Says right on the product page that Xeon E-2300 series CPUs are supported, which is 11th gen.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Says right on the product page that Xeon E-2300 series CPUs are supported, which is 11th gen.
Ahh, OK. So that's how it is supposed to be interpreted.

I read the 10th Gen up top, and thought Comet Lake.

I did not realize that E-2300 series Xeons were 11th gen rocket lake only.

Makes sense now. Thank you.

cowonmars

Apr 5, 2023
As an owner of the X12STH-F, its important to note that the board you mentioned does not support the igpu.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
As an owner of the X12STH-F, its important to note that the board you mentioned does not support the igpu.
Are you thinking STH or STL?

The STL has two VGA outputs on the back of the board, presumably one for the on board BMC and one for the iGPU.

(not that it matters, this is going into a 2u chassis in my rack for a dedicate very high peromance pfSense router, so I will not be using the display output anyway, other than for initial troubleshooting, and for that I will be using the BMC video output.)

All of that said, I do like to buy parts that are flexible so I can use them for other things down the road when they are decommed from server/rack duty.

I recently upgraded my old KVM/LXC/NAS all-in-one server , and repurposed the old Supermicro board, a dual socket Ivy Bridge board as a workstation/test bench.

ivy_workstation.jpg

It has a cornucopia of my old hardware in it.

- Supermicro X9DRI-F
- 2x Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12C/24T each)
- 256GB DDR3-1600 Registered ECC RAM
- Quadro 2000 GPU
- LSI 9300-16i SAS HBA
- Intel SSD750 PCIe NMVe drive
- Intel x520 Dual 10gig NIC

...and soon I'll be installing a 2013 6GB Nvidia Titan in it (i just have to upgrade the kiddos gaming machine with a 4070 Super, move his 2060 Super down to my better halfs machine where the Titan is doing late life retirement duty)

It will represent the very best a ~2013 era workstation had to offer, and would have been at least a $10k machine back then.

Of course, that was a long long time ago now.

1706295151747.png

...so this is mostly for fun (while still keeping old hardware at least somewhat useful)

Still pretty impressive that Ivy Bridge it can almost keep up with a first gen 16C/32T Threadripper. Makes you wonder how it would have scored before Spectre/Meltdown mitigations.

(Still won't officially support Windows 11 though)

And it is all wasted. All I do on that box is test and flash firmware to new PCIe boards, image hard drives to the NAS, and look up things online if my main workstation is down.

Anyway, that was a huge digression, and a really long way of saying that some day when I decommission this board, I may use it for something else more client like, and then it will be rather nice to have the iGPU output.

Below are all the Rocket Lake Xeons:

1706295620309.png

I think but I am not sure, that the iGPU will work on Xeon E-2300G model CPU's that have an iGPU, but not on Xeon W-1300 series workstation CPU's which require a different chipset (W480 or W580)

I'm setting this system up with the Xeon E-2314 which does not have an iGPU, but by the time I decomission it, I can probably pick up the highest performing E-2300 model (the Xeon E-2388G) on ebay for like $10, and it will be a nice workable little client.

Edit:

Actually never mind the bit about the iGPU. Looks like I was mistaken about video output. The second port I was talking about is a serial port. They look very similar from the wrong side :p

I think I mistook compatibility with the Xeon E-23xxG chips to mean full compatibility with the chips, but I guess that is not the case. I at least hope the iGP is fully power gated when not in use, so it doesn't waste power / cooling capacity.

Guess I'll have to pop a low end discrete GPU in it if I ever repurpose it, which is a shame as that will consume valuable PCIe lanes, but it is what it is. At least it has no bearing on my initial server use.

It's funny. I almost never want to use iGPU's and find them annoying because they get in the way, but the one time I could foresee myself actually using it, it won't work :p

Last edited:
Reactions: nexox

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
This comes as an surprise! I always thought only the C252 would deactivate the iGPU and since the X12STH-F is based on C256...

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
This comes as an surprise! I always thought only the C252 would deactivate the iGPU and since the X12STH-F is based on C256...
I think what he meant is that he has the related STH model (great name for a board for a forum member here) and he knows it supports them based on his research, and that the STL version does not.

At least that's how I interpreted the comment.

Based on further research I know think I have it figured out:
- C252 Chipset (like on the STL) supports all E-23xx series Xeons and 10th Gen Pentiums, but does not support using the IGP.
- C256 Chipset (like on the STH) supports all E-23xx series Xeons and 10th Gen Pentiums including support for the iGP (if equipped)

Notably, neither of the above will support the related W-13xx models of the Xeons Intel intended for workstations, as those require the W480 or W580 chipset.

Got to love how confusing they make it sometimes.

Makes me wonder if there was some actual capability in the W480/W580 chipsets that the W-13xx CPU's require, or if Intel just did this for artificial market segmentation. I mean, if you look at an E-23xxG model and any W-13xx model, they look pretty much identical apart from the power and clocks (and core count for the 4 core models)

The only real difference I can find is that the W models support up to three displays, and the E models only support one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
Your conclusions look right to me. Did wonder about the market segmentation too...
I've got a E2356G on a X12STL-F using it as my 24/7 homeserver with 2*SATA SSD for Proxmox and 2x Micron 7400 plus 25GbE passed through to a TrueNAS VM. It was the perfect compromise between power consumption and 25GbE speed for the NAS.

Reactions: mattlach

cowonmars

Apr 5, 2023
Yes, I meant that the X12STL does not support the igpu, but it looks like @NPS is using this combination? Does it work?

I purchased the X12STH-F with a 2386G for the igpu function. SMC confirmed that c256 was necessary. The product listing must explicitly list the compatibility.

Edit: I don't see the igpu information reflected in the product listings anymore.... hmm.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
I don't see a GPU in lspci output. Did not look any further. I don't need a GPU. Bought the CPU because it was the best deal at the time.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
I don't see a GPU in lspci output. Did not look any further. I don't need a GPU. Bought the CPU because it was the best deal at the time.
I suspect the STL motherboard is simply not wired for the IGP considering the E-23xx CPU's are limited to 20 gen4 PCIe lanes.

The X12STL-F has (from top to bottom):
- one gen4 4x in 8x slot
- one gen4 8x (in 16x slot)
- one gen4 8x (in 8x slot)

That brings us up to the 20 gen4 lanes the CPU can offer.

The board also has a 4x gen3 m.2 slot and one PCIe gen3 x2 (in x4 slot), but I presume these must be coming off of the c252 chipset.

If the iGPU were to work, it would need to rob at least a few of those PCIe lanes I think, but there is no mention of that anywhere.

Though these are just guesses. I don't really know how any of this works.

NPS

Jan 14, 2021
If the iGPU were to work, it would need to rob at least a few of those PCIe lanes I think, but there is no mention of that anywhere.
No this is nonsense. The iGPU is linked internally via it's own links. It's is not connected via PCIe. In the Core i3/5/7/9 it's the same.

The board also has a 4x gen3 m.2 slot and one PCIe gen3 x2 (in x4 slot), but I presume these must be coming off of the c252 chipset.
This is correct.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I suspect the STL motherboard is simply not wired for the IGP
there is an extra supply voltage for the iGPU on the socket.
motherboards can have the iGPU not powered,
or powered even if the board don't have Display-Ports(HDMI,DP,DVI)

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
No this is nonsense. The iGPU is linked internally via it's own links. It's is not connected via PCIe. In the Core i3/5/7/9 it's the same.
I must be thinking of AMD's implementation then.

I vaguely remember reading motherboard manuals where they had to list multiple tables for available PCIe lane configurations depending on the CPU, and the APU's always had fewer available external lanes.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
there is an extra supply voltage for the iGPU on the socket.
motherboards can have the iGPU not powered,
or powered even if the board don't have Display-Ports(HDMI,DP,DVI)
That almost seems like the worst of both worlds :p

You get the power consumption and heat output of the iGPU (at least in its idle state) without having the use of the iGPU. One would hope it would be completely gated off if not compatible.

(Unless that is, it could still be used for some sort of low level OpenCL or other compute function, even if it does not have monitor outputs.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I put together a low power server using this CPU and it did not disappoint. being it's in a server I have no need for a igpu. It doesn't have it and neither does the Supermicro X12STL-iF MB. And as a bonus I discovered by accident that non ECC UDIMM's work perfectly fine with this CPU which is not compatible with ECC Ram. Supermicro lists ECC only ram but I'm glad this isn't true.