Dell R740 vs HPE DL380 G10 - What to pick?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Khaveer

Mar 19, 2022
Hello,

I'm considering upgrading my two R720s to something more modern. My first choice was the Dell R740, mostly because I'm already familiar with Dell hardware. However it turns out, that the base R740 model does not support U.2 drives in the front bays, and the R740xd with U.2 support is outside of my budget. Also, the front bays are now apparently an integral part of the chassis, so If I get an 8 bay model I can't extend it later to 16 bays like it was possible with R720. So I started looking at the HPE DL380 G10. It seems that feature-wise this is a better platform. It supports U.2 drives, I can add more front bays if I need and there's an M.2 slot for a bot drive built into the riser. In terms of CPU support and RAM those seem to be the same. I can get both platforms in a similar configuration at a comparable price.

The obvious drawback with the HPE is the limited access to updates and drivers, but I may look for a way to work around it. Also if I decide to go with the HPE I wouldn't be able to reuse my rails and CMA.

Are there any other drawbacks of the HPE platform that I'm not seeing? My research seems to indicate that in this generation it is a better platform (although uglier than Dell). Is the iLO comparable to iDRAC, or is one of those better? Each of the servers would come with the extended license.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Id take the hpe any day

hp does not care at all about forreign sata, sas, nvme u.2 u.3 etc

for hpe dl380 to support u.2, it needs the correct backplane though, but.. so does dell

Reactions: Khaveer

Khaveer

Mar 19, 2022
for hpe dl380 to support u.2, it needs the correct backplane though, but.. so does dell
Actually the R740 non xd model does not offer a backplane that supports u.2. only the 24 slot backplane has NVME variants

simoncorner

Apr 25, 2020
I don't think the HPE DL380 Gen10 comes with NVMe by default, you may need to purchase appropriate NVMe bays, cables etc. Certainly all of the ones I have only have SAS.
I would still go for the HPE, I prefer the iLO and the build quality

Reactions: Khaveer

Khaveer

Mar 19, 2022
I don't think the HPE DL380 Gen10 comes with NVMe by default, you may need to purchase appropriate NVMe bays, cables etc. Certainly all of the ones I have only have SAS.
I would still go for the HPE, I prefer the iLO and the build quality
This is a good point. I didn't realize the SAS/SATA and NVMe risers are completely different. If anyone finds this thread in the future - you can't plug SATA drives into the NVMe riser and vice versa. But there are configurations where one riser is u.2 and another is sas/sata