The Skinny on Windows 11 and Linux Samba shares

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hey everyone,

So I have been reading about this for some time, but never got around to fixing it.

Most of my clients are still on Windows 10 for lack of having any reason to "upgrade" to windows 11, but now I ahve a Windows 11 machine in the house, and am being forced to deal with the issue.

I presume this has something to do with SMB1/CIFS being deprecated, but I am not sure.

On the server side (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on kernel 6.5.11) my /etc/smb.conf looks something like this:

Global settings:

Code:
[global]
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    server role = standalone server
    map to guest = Bad User
    obey pam restrictions = Yes
    pam password change = Yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    unix password sync = Yes
    log level = 4
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    dns proxy = No
    usershare allow guests = Yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    idmap config * : backend = tdb
    security = user
    ntlm auth = yes

Each user has a password protected share as follows:

Code:
[user]
    comment = User's Folder
    path = /mnt/storagepool/userfolder
    valid users = user
    force user = user
    force group = user
    create mask = 0774
    browseable = No
    Writable = Yes
This results in requiring credentials to log in.

In addition to the users folders, I also have some shared folders set up which are guest browseable, and are configured something like this:

Code:
[share]
    comment = Share Folder
    path = /mnt/Storagepool/share
    force user = share
    force group = share
    group = share
    read only = No
    create mask = 0774
    guest ok = Yes
    browseable = No

On Windows 10 and earlier clients, as well as Linux clients this results in users folder requiring credentials to access, but share folders not requiring credentials. This is as intended.

On Windows 11, users can still access their credential protected folders, but they are unable to access the share folders using guest access.

Many guides say to just go into Windows and enable SMB1, but I've read it has some pretty serious security flaws, so I don't want to do that.

How would I go about fixing this properly so that it uses the latest versions of the protocol, but users can still access the guest folders without credentials?

Appreciate any input.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
  1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on your Windows device.
  2. In the console tree, select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation.
  3. For the setting, right-click Enable insecure guest logons and select Edit.
  4. Select Enabled > OK.
  5. Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings> Local Policies > Security Options.
  6. Set Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to Disabled.
  7. Set Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level set to Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM
reboot

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
  1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on your Windows device.
  2. In the console tree, select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation.
  3. For the setting, right-click Enable insecure guest logons and select Edit.
  4. Select Enabled > OK.
  5. Computer Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Security Settings> Local Policies > Security Options.
  6. Set Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always) to Disabled.
  7. Set Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level set to Send NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM & NTLM
reboot
Ah, so what I am hearing is, in addition to no longer enabling SMB1 by default, they also are no longer enabling guest access shares by default?

That is kind of annoying. That decision should really be up to the host, not the client...

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Nope, they still allow guest access, but no access they consider to be „insecure“. Guest access to Win Server 2019/2022 shares works whiteout this work around.

Reactions: mattlach

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Nope, they still allow guest access, but no access they consider to be „insecure“. Guest access to Win Server 2019/2022 shares works whiteout this work around.
Hmm.

Is there a legitimate reason they consider SAMBA on Linux "insecure" or is it just your typical "embrace, extend, extinguish" Microsoft stuff?

I mean, from my perspective, it doesn't matter how much TPM crap they sprinkle on top of it, it is anything Windows that is insecure :p

Last edited: