Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023
First I'd check boot order, or boot media.. Did you check the jumper for cmos clearing?

When I tried to boot with incompatible ram (LRDIMM), naturally I got no video out at all. As you're getting some video out, I'd wager the ram is compatible. Have you tried to access bmc? Does it reserve ip? I haven't yet played around with mine, as I just ordered some ram off ebay.
thanks, i don't get to the bios to check anything. Have tried whit some different psu-s, have the clear cmos jumper in normall, i allso did try to clear the cmos.
havent checked if the me board does reserve an ip, dont even know in which lan to put my cable :) allso have no bloody idea how to acess the bmc ... i only know that the usb keyboard i did try to use isnt responding (no numlock or any lights)

i wanted it sooo to work, have got like 10x32gb ecc modules (samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC) for real cheap and wanted to use some on there :)

Last edited:

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023
And as opposite to most other board: first populate RAM slots marked with „1“, not the ones with „0“.
after reading trough this thread i did catch this, so ram only in blue slots ("1") when in black im not even getting the bmc initializing on screen :)

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
When I tried to boot with incompatible ram (LRDIMM), naturally I got no video out at all. As you're getting some video out, I'd wager the ram is compatible.
As far as I know from Fujitsu systems using a similar BMC, video output is initialised by the BMC before the x86 completes POST, so if you see video but it's not the Gigabyte logo, it's possible that you're only seeing video output from the BMC and the x86 is still failing to POST.

I'm using 4x Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD. No issues.

havent checked if the me board does reserve an ip, dont even know in which lan to put my cable :) allso have no bloody idea how to acess the bmc
The BMC network port is above the two USB3 ports. It should DHCP, and the default web UI login is: admin/password

If your BMC firmware has not been updated from 12.49.06, you can also SSH using the credentials sysadmin/superuser. They are hard-coded credentials in the AMI MegaRAC SDK that Gigabyte did not change (CVE-2022-40242). Bad for security, but nice for remote access ;)

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
As far as I know from Fujitsu systems using a similar BMC, video output is initialised by the BMC before the x86 completes POST, so if you see video but it's not the Gigabyte logo, it's possible that you're only seeing video output from the BMC and the x86 is still failing to POST.
Oh, thanks for clarification, I stand corrected.

The BMC network port is above the two USB3 ports. It should DHCP, and the default web UI login is: admin/password

If your BMC firmware has not been updated from 12.49.06, you can also SSH using the credentials sysadmin/superuser. They are hard-coded credentials in the AMI MegaRAC SDK that Gigabyte did not change (CVE-2022-40242). Bad for security, but nice for remote access ;)
Lovely :rolleyes:

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023

I'm using 4x Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD. No issues.

i did manage to get into the BMC, and as it seems the silent boot option was enabled :)
in the evening i will tinker whit it a little more.

thanks a lot!!

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023
looks like this is a faulty motherboard that i have. BMC does not read the ram that is physically inserted, it states i have 1 stick of 16gb ram in there :)) . KVM has no signal,...
does not post,.... bummer for me

fiftynine

May 12, 2020
looks like this is a faulty motherboard that i have. BMC does not read the ram that is physically inserted, it states i have 1 stick of 16gb ram in there :)) . KVM has no signal,...
does not post,.... bummer for me
Is your ram listed on the QVL?

joer34

Nov 8, 2023
Guys, I found IO shield :)

In case you dont have bambu account, file is attached. Created a zip because forum does not allow 3mf files...
Dont know if author is the one from this topic, but file is pretty recent. Didnt manage to print yet, but in picture it seems awesome.

EDIT: installed bambu studio and converted file to STL, printing now with prusaslicer

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: beijing

mrbeeblebrox

Nov 29, 2023
I managed to get hold of a SFF-8654 to 2x OCUlink cable and OCUlink to PCIe-Adapter for like 55 EUR -- which gives me one PCIe x4 slot. I then bought a used Intel X550 Dual-10G NIC for 110 EUR (The X550 only uses 4 PCIe-lanes as opposed to the X540). Works like a charm. I suspect you would get the same cable and adapter even cheaper on Aliexpress.

Reactions: flobert

flobert

Sep 3, 2019
I managed to get hold of a SFF-8654 to 2x OCUlink cable and OCUlink to PCIe-Adapter for like 55 EUR -- which gives me one PCIe x4 slot. I then bought a used Intel X550 Dual-10G NIC for 110 EUR (The X550 only uses 4 PCIe-lanes as opposed to the X540). Works like a charm. I suspect you would get the same cable and adapter even cheaper on Aliexpress.
Can you share some links?

mrbeeblebrox

Nov 29, 2023
Can you share some links?
Sure, here they are. I have no affiliation of any kind with any of the shops. But I already bought this setup twice, so I dare to recommend this as a viable "value" option.

The OCULink to PCIe Adapter:
PCIe to SFF-8611 Adapter

The Mainboard-to-OCULink cable: (you end up with one superfluous OCUlink-connector; the two OCUlink connectors don't seem to have any marks, which is the first one; but if you connect the wrong connector to the PCIe-adapter, nothing happens -- just try the other connector)
SFF-8654 8i 74pin to Dual Oculink SFF-8611

The dual 10GB PCIe x4 NIC
X550 Dual 10G RJ45 PCIe x4 NIC

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
Currently im build a test setup to host proxmox and pfsense as a virtual host. Managed to get the 8i working into an x8 slot.
Have you tried running any kind of a stress test, like iperf, and checking kernel logs for errors?
Could you please try? I'm wondering about signal integrity and how stable it is.

Last edited:

Chielos

Dec 25, 2020
Have you tried running any kind of a stress test, like iperf, and checking kernel logs for errors?
Could you please try? I'm wondering about signal integrity and how stable it is.
Hi Janek, no, not yet. I was already very happy to get it working! Will do some more testing this and next week. Xmas projects ;)

Reactions: janek202

janek202

Feb 4, 2023
are these really that picky when it comes to ram modules ?
Mine works with 2x 4GB Micron 2400T RDIMM modules (MTA9ASF51272PZ), I had laying around, without any issues.
Management interface initially showed a single 16GB module, but it updated to the correct values, when I booted the system.

Last edited:

ZoMbY

Dec 16, 2023
Mine works with 2x 4GB Micron 2400T RDIMM modules (MTA9ASF51272PZ), I had laying around, without any issues.
Management interface initially showed a single 16GB module, but it updated to the correct values, when I booted the system.
i allready got another mainboard, after management booting the screen stays black, have tryed 3 types of normall ddr4 ram and 32gb samsng sticks M393A4K40BB1-CRC whit no post,... im totally lost,...

am i even booting it right ?

Reactions: RedX1