CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 IPMI

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
I purchased a CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 to upgrade a CB2 in a jbod chassis I have. I'm attempting to get it configured but I'm unable to connect to the IPMI.

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/CSE-PTJBOD-CB3.pdf

I've tried the jumper in both positions, I've tried factory reset via 10s holding down the reset button. I tried direct wiring it to a computer w/ the computer set to 192.168.1.10/24 per the instructions. I tried throwing it on a dhcp server but it never grabbed an IP. Right now I have it plugged into a switch with the port set for my 192.168.1.0/24 network and it still won't respond on 192.168.1.99.

Does anyone know the trick to get this controller working?

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
I have one of these running a Homebrew DAS and remember that I had to use some google fu to get it to come up, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll see if I have time to crack the case tonight and take a pic showing jumper positions. Frankly it has been a while since I configured it. Thing just works.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
I have one of these running a Homebrew DAS and remember that I had to use some google fu to get it to come up, but it wasn't that big of a deal. I'll see if I have time to crack the case tonight and take a pic showing jumper positions. Frankly it has been a while since I configured it. Thing just works.
Update, found a picture on my phone. Jumper 7 is using pins 1&2, which is factory mode and runs on - 192.168.1.99, but I was able to hit and then configure the interface after that and it stayed fine. Jumper 5 is using pins 1&2 for SAS.

Not much more I can tell you, but that mine is working fine. Is the only thing not working correctly on yours the IPMI interface? What if you try and hit it through their app?

CJ145

Mar 11, 2015
I don't have it hooked up to the jbod yet, I was trying to get it configured first. Just 24 pin atx and ethernet connected. I haven't tried their tool, but I have placed it on a network that matches it's 192.168.1.99/24 and it would not respond to ping. Jumper 7 over pins 1 and 2. Does yours respond to ping? The other supermicro ipmi's I've seen do.

jingram

Oct 21, 2018
I don't have it hooked up to the jbod yet, I was trying to get it configured first. Just 24 pin atx and ethernet connected. I haven't tried their tool, but I have placed it on a network that matches it's 192.168.1.99/24 and it would not respond to ping. Jumper 7 over pins 1 and 2. Does yours respond to ping? The other supermicro ipmi's I've seen do.
My IPMI web interface comes up and also responds to ping.

When you attempted to configure, did you try setting the device as your default gateway? So your PC would be say 192.168.1.100 and you set the default IP of 192.168.1.99 as your default gateway? I seem to remember needing to do something like that, even though it should have pulled an IP from DHCP without issue.