Engineering Sample ECC RAM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Shafarevich

Aug 15, 2019
I bought eight Hynix 3200MHz ECC RAM modules from an online store that appears to be reputable here in the UK. When they arrived, I noticed that each of them comes with a yellow sticker saying "Engineering Sample". The product page of that online store does not mention they are selling engineering samples. I am quite surprised. Aren't engineering samples supposed to be not for sale? Can a legit business sell engineering sample RAMS legally?

Anyway, I have emailed the store to ask for a refund. Just wondering if anyone has experience with engineering sample RAMs?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Generally, whomever received the RAM from the manufacturer was not supposed to sell it. Since it's a civil matter (breach of contract), it's technically not illegal. While the seller wouldn't be bound by the aforementioned agreement if they were not the original recipient, no large reputable retailer will sell ES products.

I personally would avoid doing business with them in the future and expect a full refund.

As for how well ES items work, it's hit or miss. They're somewhat popular for budget CPUs if you get a revision that's close to retail. Of course, anyone buying one is specifically looking for ES since it commands a lower price and should not be presented as retail.