Better cooling for UNAS 810A?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thylacine

Jul 13, 2019
I just put together a new home storage server, and could use some ideas about improving its cooling. The trouble is that I stuffed a Supermicro X11SDV-8C-TP8F into a UNAS 810A. This Xeon D-2146 8-core 80w-tdp board is only available with a passive cooler, and the Noctua NF-A8 I have precariously balanced on top of it for the time being works okay, until it spends some time under full load, when I'll start to get cpu thermal events throttling things down until it cools off. I'm guessing the little shallow 70mm side fan on the chassis just can't handle venting the upper area well enough for that much power.

Does anyone have any clever ideas for improving motherboard airflow in this little case? As a last resort, I'm considering drilling out some vent holes in the top of the cover, over the heatsink, and somehow ducting a fan directly out there, pulling through the cooler, but I'm admittedly not really super handy so that could just as likely end up an ugly disaster instead of a working solution..

Other than having to be somewhat careful about not running all the cores at full-bore, I've been quite happy with this compact and quiet build, despite the fact that it took waiting 8 months for a bios update that would actually let it boot off the primary m2.

CPU: Xeon D-2146NT
Motherboard: Supermicro X11SDV-8C-TP8F
Chassis: UNAS NSC-810A
OS Drives: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Toshiba RC100 240GB
Storage Drives: WD Gold 10TB (WD101KRYZ), mirrored pairs
RAM: 2x64GB DDR4-2666 ECC
Power supply: SeaSonic SS-350M1U

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I have the same board in a 810A case. I ended up drilling out holes and mounting holes for an 80mm fan directly over the CPU. I also drilled out the small side-vent holes on upper right side (right side looking from the front) to allow a bit more air in. The fan blows IN over the passive CPU heatsink allowing the airflow to move to the left and out the side fan (which I also replace with a quieter fan). Seems to do the trick even under load.