DFI DT122-BE NIC (BIOS?) compatibility issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Hey all,

I'm having issues getting a couple of NICs working in my little HP T730 clone boxes. I can't boot, period, with a ConnectX-3 installed and I have to play reset button games to get an Intel x520 to maybe work. Intel I350, I340, Chelsio T420 and Broadcom 10Gb NICs all work fine but I was really hoping to use CX3's in these boxes for power, thermal and bandwidth reasons. I was hoping to cram a few SSDs in these and use them as low power distributed storage servers so >10GbE would be really nice. I've tried setting log bar to 0, disabling the option rom and the uefi option rom, flat out removing the option rom from the firmware image on the card and masking the smbus PCIe pins in case that was causing the BIOS to poop itself. So far nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try here beyond reaching out to DFI tech support? They haven't been super helpful in the past so I'm not sure what kind of response they'll have for me when I ask about 40GbE NIC compatibility in their ITX industrial control PC (other than "incompatible, NEXT!")

I kind of suspect this is something that needs to be addressed with a BIOS fix but I thought I'd throw this post out here in case anyone has any ideas that I haven't tried.

Alternately if anyone can point me at resources for BIOS modification there may be something I can rip from the BIOS on the T730 (which boots perfectly fine with these NICs installed.)

thanks!

arglebargle

H̸̖̅ȩ̸̐l̷̦͋l̴̰̈ỏ̶̱ ̸̢͋W̵͖̌ò̴͚r̴͇̀l̵̼͗d̷͕̈
Jul 15, 2018
Any change if you pop out the PCIe riser and plug the card straight into the mainboard?
I see a flexible PCIe extension cable in my future if so. I'll go test that.

Edit: Nope, the riser is as dumb as they come, it might as well be a flexible extension cable.

Last edited: