Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 wont boot/install server 2016?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Deci

Feb 15, 2015
I have 2x systems with gigabyte MZ31-AR0 motherboards (Epyc) and i am trying to install server 2016 onto them, however if you boot off of server 2016 media (virtually mounted via ipmi or physically connected via a sata DVD drive) it sits on the windows logo you get as the setup is loading in the background and never gets any further.

trying to boot windows.PNG

I have 2x ssd drives in a raid 1 on an LSI 9361-8i to run the OS drives, so i plugged that card and drives into another machine and installed server 2016 onto it there, it installs and boots fine in another system, but when you move the card and drives (with its known working install) into these gigabyte boards it stops and never gets any further than the same screen you get trying to boot the installer. As a sanity check i tried installing esxi 6.5 u1, and that installs and boots flawlessly.

Does anyone else have one of these boards and have they been able to install server 2016? The product page says they support it, i have updated them to the latest IPMI and BIOS versions, but it hasn't changed anything.

@Patrick got a system in October that had the same motherboard but didn't do any windows testing on it from reading the post, do you still have it to try booting the server 2016 setup on it? ( https://www.servethehome.com/amd-epyc-7251-linux-benchmarks-and-review/ )

@Wondersausage seems to have had no issues with windows 10 which makes not being able to boot 2016 seem odd. ( https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/gigabyte-epyc-so-far-so-good.18510/ )

bash

Dec 14, 2015
scottsdale
had shutdown my MZ31-AR0 build a few weeks ago to break down for another project and forgot about it. Tried to turn it on today and it wont post, fans on Noctua wont even spin. Took it out of the case thinking maybe it was a short and it booted fine on bench. Put it back in case and no boot.

Took it out again and now it won't even post on the workbench.