Windows 10 does not support (4) xeon e7 processors, what else can I use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I wanted to compare performance of some applications, and figure out how some mysteries in my Linux system to control the processor turbo frequencies. Is (4) xeon e7 4850's processors.

So I load windows 10 to discover, that operating system and intel chipset / microcode drivers for windows 10 64-bit simply does NOT support my 4 xeon cpu system. It will only recognize and only recognizes 2 of the 4 processors, and does not register all of the l3 cache.

Then I realize, this is a server and I should probably load windows server on this. Still a mystery to me, because - if I decided I wanted to use this as a workstation CAD or video editing then I would just be on a scavenger hunt, since Autodesk does not make a Linux version of Inventor.

I just want to run some tests and compare them to the ones I run in Linux. I do not want to pay $2,000+ for Microsoft licenses for server software that I will definitely NOT be using a Microsoft operating system to run, activate or whatever they want to request money from me that will never be paid. I tried Windows 10 since it let me do this without an activation code.

The product-sheet for the Dell r810 lists "Windows 12 server". I feel stupid for asking... Is there a community version of that, or something I can run without it asking me to buy a $5,000 license?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What happens if you run esxi with one vm (two virtual cpus and many logical cores)?

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I like the sound of Windows workstation, I try that.

If I can just evaluate Windows server would be good. I just want to compare the cpu scaling to Linux.

I haven't tried esxi. I was trying to speed test cpu's. Loading an operating system on top of another virtual operating system would throw my test off.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
That is an arbitrary limitation of Windows.

Home = 1CPU max
Pro = 2CPU max

Beyond that they want you to buy a server edition.

Reactions: mineblaster

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I hadn't heard about that version until now... Sure enough it does.

Microsoft announces Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - Windows For Your Business

It's also the only version of windows that doesn't come with Candy Crush, so there's that.

Aside: Apparently, even when you uninstall Candy Crush on other versions, it'll come back when Windows updates (which we have little say in either). Father Microsoft knows best apparently.

Reactions: William and cactus

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway

It's also the only version of windows that doesn't come with Candy Crush, so there's that.

Aside: Apparently, even when you uninstall Candy Crush on other versions, it'll come back when Windows updates (which we have little say in either). Father Microsoft knows best apparently.
just disable windows 10 consumer experience, and it’ll stay away.
Disabling Windows 10 Consumer Experience | Microsoft Cloud Solutions | Windows Management Experts

-Jannis

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I found this interesting link (in case anyone else was interested in Windows WORKSTATION, with or without 4 cpu support)

Which insider builds support 4 CPUs?

Windows 10 Pro x64 bit only supports 2 CPU's.

Only Windows 10 pro for Workstations supports 4 CPU's.

1. First install Windows 10 Pro x64 bit.

2. Then convert it to Windows 10 pro for Workstations by changing the product key

Click start, settings, Update & Security, Activation

Change Product key to professional workstation

DXG7C-N36C4-C4HTG-X4T3X-2YV77
Unfortunately I was confused. Somehow under the impression when I installed "WINDOWS 10 PRO", I was installing a PROFESSIONAL version of windows. This was obviously not the case.

DrStein99

Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
Ok thanks. So, let me ask this... If my main workstation, I use is for programming, development, CAD design, simulation. Is "Workstation" the best suitable version of Windows 10 to use for that? Is there Windows 10 developer / programmer version? A Windows 10 with the absolute minimum (or NO) pre-loaded candy-store retail software AND all the networking + otherwise options ?

William

May 7, 2015

I wonder... if we are running a dual cpu system now with Win 10 Pro if it will update to this new version if we want, or will be required to purchase the Workstation Version and do a fresh install.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I wonder... if we are running a dual cpu system now with Win 10 Pro if it will update to this new version if we want, or will be required to purchase the Workstation Version and do a fresh install.
Looks about like buying or upgrading any other version of Windows...

What is Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and How to Upgrade

I suspect a clean install would be the best practice, but that can be done even when "upgrading."

OT: Is ReFS getting any better at all? I've heard horror stories about it from the ZFS camp (which I like a lot), but I'm wondering if it's getting any better?

William

May 7, 2015
Ahhh thanks for that info. I didn't know that it was out yet.
Not sure atm if I want to do the up-grade, will have to research this more.