Colocation for mining

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Most of the standard colo providers tend to have more bandwidth than we'd need, and not enough power.

For example, I could build some 4u GPU boxes that would draw 1200w-1600w each; 5 of these would result in a half rack that draws 6000-8000w (50-66A @ 120v), while most colo providers offer 20A for 21u of space.

I could get similar power density with 1u CPU nodes.

Anyone have recommendations for miner friendly colocation? A couple of providers showed up in my "goggling" but given Mr. Prout's background I'm not sure how much I trust some of those places with $20K in hardware.

I don't want this in my house/garage for a variety of reasons...

JeffroMart

Jun 27, 2014
Probably one of the largest issues with trying to colo mining rigs is that the customers want everything very cheap to maximize their profit, which is fully understandable. However in most facilities, it is not only the cost to power the machines, you have to also factor in the cooling cost as as well, generally speaking that is a 1:1 ratio in terms of cost. So, if you rig is pulling 1-2kW it will cost another 1-2kW to cool it.

In addition to that you also have to pay for things such as UPS and generators as well, which may not be necessary for the mining gear, but typically it is setup this way in a datacenter.

Most of the miners we have spoken with want to pay at rates we are paying for utility power only, without paying costs associated to cool, condition, and deliver the power as well.

I would suggest maybe not looking at datacenters, but look for some of these large mining farms/centers that try to keep the cost as low as possible by removing the gensets, UPS, and sometimes even the cooling aspects as well to some degree.

Reactions: Marsh

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
These are usually risky for colo providers. There are miners who will spin up 10MW then walk away three months later.

The @JeffroMart solution is wise. Mining only places can get by with much less expensive infrastructure.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
you can start you own colo, find a few friends and rent a space with power, then share the costs of rental/electric.