Looking for good low cost 2.5' Nas drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sentania

Dec 4, 2016
All -

I am looking for some advice on some decent 2.5' drives to use in a NAS. I have 2 c6100s that I'm going to be leveraging with Nutanix CE and/or vSAN.

Initially I gave a set of Seagate Firecudas a try, and had some very sour experiences with the drives going to sleep and requiring a power cycle to come back up, needless to say not a very good situation for a HCI solution.

I'm wondering if I should simply go the route of WD Red 1 tb drives or if something like a Seagate ST91000640SS is going to treat me better. Between the 2 c6100 there are 16 SSDs - that will be acting as a cache tier, so simply having stable reliable spinning disks is going to be more important then speed.

I'm a little worried that 1 TB drives will leave me a little low on capacity over the long term, but 2 TB drives in the 2.5' form factor appear to be above my budget (~100 per), or seem to be focused for the mobile market - which as I learned with the Firecuda's will not meet my needs.

Thoughts/advice/etc?