SAS2-E16 expander in SC847 - Bandwidth concerns

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
Hey guys, I just bought a new but discounted SC847 E16-R1400UB!

So it has the E16 expander for the 24 bay front portion and similar expander for 12 bay but I'm not worried on the rear one.

So with a M1015 card in IT mode, the expander can take SFF8087 which is 4 lanes 6gbps, = 24gbps feeding to that expander = 1gbps per drive.

Is this enough? Granted, this is for home use and I don't even think I'll populate all 24 right now, but in the event that I do, is it enough each drive has 1gbps?

I'm using NAS4Free with ZFS mirrored, so each vdev is consist of 2 drives. This actually speeds up reading since it can read from both drives.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
It all depends on what you put in the drive bays. HDDs will be fine. SSDs that are any good will get constrained.

Do you see transfers faster than 100MB/s per drive right now? Can it sustain that with the normal workload?

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
It all depends on what you put in the drive bays. HDDs will be fine. SSDs that are any good will get constrained.

Do you see transfers faster than 100MB/s per drive right now? Can it sustain that with the normal workload?
The only fastest transfer is about 100-110MB/sec that's transferring files from the NAS to a desktop that has SSD.

They are all only HDD, no way I would run a NAS with pure SSD. Anyhow, the network would be more bottleneck I think, it has only has 4x gigabit connections via LACP.