Rack rail support for UPS makes not fit !

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
I got some of those rack rail support for heavy UPS, but the problem is, once you use these, they take up slightly more room than a rack unit so it interferes with either the top or bottom rack unit.

Is there a way to fix this or I will always have to leave a gap in between these rail things.

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
If they are the original rails for the UPS (and it is designed to be rack-mounted), then it should align properly with top and bottom of a rack unit. If it is aftermarket rail/shelf or one for a different model that could explain it not aligning correctly.

As others suggested you can fill the extra space with a blanking panel to help preserve airflow going through equipment vs the empty space.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Whenever I fit shelves, I slot the mounting holes a little with a round needle file, just enough to split the difference top and bottom. I have yet to see a rack that can't accommodate at least 0.5mm :)

FlashEngineer

Jan 27, 2016
This is what I have:

4 Post 1U Universal Adjustable Rack Mount Shelf Kit (4POSTRAILKIT1U) | Tripp Lite

It should work with some UPS regardless, it's just basically a "shelf"... like I said the problem is, since it is basically a shelf, it will lift the device a small amount, the thickness of said shelf.

Even if I notch the sqaure holes on my rack to raise it down, then it would interfere with whatever is at the bottom then.

I'm not sure why heavy things such as UPS doesn't even come with a sliding rail kit like most server chassis. They expect me to rackmount a 80-100lbs UPS just by the ears on 2 posts?