Lenovo exFlash DIMM support outside of Lenovo X Systems

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
Does anyone here have experience with Lenovo exFlash DIMMs or know if they will work in servers other than Lenovo X series? Will they work in Lenovo systems that accept DDR3 RDIMMs?

From what I can tell at release they are Diablo memory technology and were originally intended to only work with Lenovo X series servers. I found some news from early 2015 that Lenovo was expanding support support to other systems, but little about what would be supported after that. Lenovo has info for using them in Linux and Windows systems, but I've seen mention that they require a special BIOS.

I'm personally interested in using them in a Lenovo TD340 with E5-2400 series processors.

Thanks!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I could be (very) wrong but I think there is specific signaling that needs to happen with these that many motherboards/ BIOS do not support.

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014

tubeamps

Dec 1, 2014
$165 with $13.20 in ebay bucks back and depending on how you account for it a fair amount more from credit card points/ sign up bonuses. It looks like in supported systems these can't be mixed in a memory channel with regular RDIMMs, so with only 1 device a few memory slots are lost. I can handle that, but at this price I would probably buy two more if I was more confident that they were supported. We'll see.

Tempted to post to Great Deals, but I don't want to mislead people. If this doesn't work for me I'll probably find someone or somewhere that can use it.