Did I fix it??

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I have a 5TB White Label hard drive that started disappearing randomly. It got so bad that it rendered the drive unusable. It's out of warranty so I removed the board and cleaned the contacts. This seemed to make it worst. I then removed the board and took a jewelers screwdriver and pried up on the spindle motor contacts. This seems to have done the trick. I'm in the process of filling the drive up. It's 2/3's full and still going. Before surgery, it would not have lasted 30 sec's much less the 4 hours it's been going so far. Hard to believe this fix worked. After it's full I'm going to do a full format.

Also, when the drive is detected, HD Sentinel says health is 100%. With zero bad sectors I figured it was worth the effort to try and save it.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Curious... but why would the spindle motor contacts need to be pried up in the first place?

I'm going to lean on the side of coincidence ;) unless others have experience with same type of issue and solution, just doesn't sound right for a failing HDD but maybe ya got lucky :D :D

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Curious... but why would the spindle motor contacts need to be pried up in the first place?

I'm going to lean on the side of coincidence ;) unless others have experience with same type of issue and solution, just doesn't sound right for a failing HDD but maybe ya got lucky :D :D
The contacts are actually at the end of cantilever springs. I pried them up so that they would make a tighter contact with the pad on the HD body. I filled the drive completely and now I'm in the middle of a long format, so far so good. The reason I suspected a contact problem was the first time I cleaned the contacts the problem got worst. I reasoned that I put downward pressure on the cantilevers and this made the contact even weaker than it was. It may in fact be a coincidence but at this point I hope it's a "We'll never know". :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
It hung half way through the format. Next step is to take a heat gun to the control board. Got nothing to lose but a paperweight. :cool: