vSphere 6.5 has landed!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
Has there been a release date announced other than "Q4 2016"? Maybe I'm looking at old press...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Hmm that's odd, figured this was the announcement but i do not see bits to download yet. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
4th quarter boys.. 4th quarter ... could be dec 31st

and this looks like a paid updgrade right... ?

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
AFAIK, historically the X.1 and/or X.5 upgrades have been free upgrades from the X.0 release (if that makes sense, 5.1 and 5.5 were free upgrades from 5.0 for example)

Gerk

Oct 24, 2016
Oakville, ON, Canada
They claim to be security focused but somehow I still have to use flash in a web browser to manage my vSphere Enterprise Setup ... the HTML5 client seems to be only for directly managing the server and not vCenter Server.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
if its anything like the vcenter html5 fling that I have been using people are going to hate it.. on the flip side the esxi html5 fling is pretty good, upgrading the internal esxi6 web server works pretty well..

all solutions are still mostly useless on ipads... the html5 vcenter fling doenst format the boxes at all and nothing is readable..

oh.. and they changed the layout to call it clarity but in reality its just dumned down....

I am not getting my hopes up on the interface...

Gerk

Oct 24, 2016
Oakville, ON, Canada
Agreed, I do like the HTML5 fling on the hosts, it's a big improvement. I haven't tried the vcenter one (didn't know it existed), but it has to at least bit a bit better than the current flash based web access. For most things I still use the windows based vSphere client like the rest of the users that I know ...

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
the vcenter fling is actually its own ova / vm and its real lightweight.. hardly any resouces and it updates from within the vm which is nice..

but the interface sucks....

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
all the current html5 ova fling does by the look of it is reparse the vcenter instance... its basically just a VM running a website.. all the heavy lifting is still done by your vcsa or vcenter instance... give it a whirl.. again.. its only a companion VM.. dont like it, delete it... but like I said.. dont get your hopes up and its miserable on an ipad...

here we are almost 2017 and still cant manage esxi with mobile platforms.... pathetic...

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Will be interesting to see how light weight it is in a larger environment, my VCSA currently has 4vCPU's, 16GB ram, is running off of SSD's, and is still slow.
@cheezehead how many VM's are you managing/size of your vSphere env? I run a modest setup for a homelab (abt 50 VM's running 24-7) and have my vCenter rscs at 2vcpu/8gb memory and she runs like a top most of the time.