New server build: 2x E5-2670 project - Advice for first timer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
So after months and months of waiting and deliberation, I'm starting to acquire parts for my new (first time) server build. I have immense experience building and working with desktop PC's, but my server up to this point has been an old, out of date Dell Poweredge 840. It's just not good enough. the CPU is underpowered, and the chipset only supports 8 GB RAM. Anyway, I started off this new adventure earlier today by ordering a kit from natex.us. Being as I have never built a machine of this magnitude, I'd like some advice from others as to recommendations of where to go from here hardware-wise.

Motherboard: Intel S2600CP2J
CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670
RAM: 128 GB DDR3
Addon Card: Mellanox MNPA19-XTR 10GbE SFP+
Chassis: Intel P4000M
PSU: 750W included with chassis
HSF: 2x Intel AUPSRCBTP
Storage: 4x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS

My needs/plan with this server covers many areas. Many needs will be accomplished via VM's. I have VM's running in KVM on CentOS 7 right now handling most the critical tasks and plan to migrate them to the new server once complete.

-Asterisk server
-Plex Server
-OpenVPN server
-Ubiquiti Unifi Controller
-File server
-Lab/sandbox testing environment

I'll probably start off with 4-5 4TB drives for storage, possibly in a RAID 6 configuration. I haven't decided if I'm going to look at getting a hardware RAID controller (depends on cost) or use something like a Linux software RAID setup, or something different altogether.

My questions mainly extend to recommendations on what kind of hardware to polish off my build with. What kind of hard drives, power supplies, HSF's and chassis would be recommended for this. I've been looking at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro chassis, but haven't decided on if I want to do that, or find a deal on an Intel 4000 series chassis. Any suggestions?

Now I (literally) pay the price for getting started in the DIY server world... Wife is already starting to give me looks of concern... :)

[EDIT] Blast... I had multiple tabs open. Meant to post this in the build forum...

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I moved this for you.

I think others have more experience on the chassis and that impacts the PSU and HSF recommendations.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
I have a P4000M with a 465W hot swap power supply I will let go cheap (100+shipping), it would have non-redundant dual fans and 8x3.5" hotswap. Shipping is the issue, the case is 48# shipping weight shipping from 92840.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
That's tempting for sure. Shipping would be the question there. I don't imagine that part being cheap. :) I also wonder if a 465W power supply would be sufficient to power the machine effectively and leave room to add components such as additional drives in the future.

Also, how is the fan noise with the Intel P4000M chassis?

cookiesowns

Feb 12, 2016
On a Dual E5-2670 setup, Supermicro X9DRD-EF 16x8GB DDR3 1600, and 2x SSD's plus 2x 1TB Segate SAS, LSi 9266-8i, I was pulling roughly 130-180watts idle ( performance bios setting ) and roughly 315watts under load P95.

So 465 might just be a wee under powered.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
The 4u Intel P4000M chassis are good, and with the surplus prices (for often times New In Box from the below seller), you can get some fantastic deals considering that they are often outfitted with hotswap drive cages and common redundant power supplies,etc. Not to mention that these *are* the chassis's that Intel intended for the S2600CP2J motherboard that you have. Where else are you going to find NIB Intel server class chassis's with drive cages and power supplies for ~$100+ bucks?

However, I wouldn't go below the 550watt (silver efficiency) P4000M chassis model with dual e5 2670's and you plan on powering a handful of drives and populating with pcie cards...

You may want to consider the following(I paid $100 + $35 shipping from this seller):
Intel P4216XXMHGC Server Chassis 4U Rack, 750W New Bulk Packaging

If you don't want to use the (2) 8x2.5" hotswap cages, you can *easily* swap it for a single 8x3.5" HS cage (I paid $40 + shipping from this seller):
Intel FUP8X35HSDK 8x3.5 Hot-Swap Drive Cage Kit New Pull With Cables

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
I'm definitely thinking about the 8x3.5 cage. I also saw this from the same seller. It doesn't have dual PSU's, but it has the 3.5in cage. Granted it looks like they're fixed, not hot swap. Would it be worth it over the other one?

Intel P4308XXMFGN Server Chassis 4U 750W. New Bulk Packaging

Also, It looks like I'd have to get the air duct and heatsinks for the CPU's. Is that correct and recommended, or would active cooling be better? If I recall, the Intel boards from Natex do not come with an I/O shield, so I may need to get that as well. Anything else I need to get with the chassis?

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
So I've been looking into what I would need, should I go with the Intel chassis. My concern is that I can't completely identify everything I would need to complete the build. I see that some of the air ducts say they have a unique cable kit, leading me to think that I would be missing something without the right one. I'm having trouble finding an air duct for the s2600cp that also comes with the cable kit as well. Will that be a problem? I don't want to go with the Intel P4000M chassis if I can't connect the board to the chassis properly.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
So another update on my build. I think I was able to find everything I needed to use the P4000M chassis. Because I'm planning on using the 3.5 drives, I went with the Intel P4308XXMFGN from kalleyomalley. Can't beat it for $100. Also ordered an I/O shield as well for $6. It doesn't have the hot swap drives, or redundant PSU, but I think it will do just fine. I also found a new air duct with the cable kit and the Intel passive heatsinks on Newegg, and ordered those as well. I had a $50 Newegg gift card, so that helped as well.

That should just leave me needing some hard drives at this point. So I'll have to figure out what to get. At least this gets me to the point of being able to get everything set up on a test bench and hopefully confirm that the hardware I've purchased to this point will work.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
Updated my original post, as I think I now have everything I need on order or already here. I've got the motherboard, CPUs and RAM from Natex, and everything looks to be in good condition there. Air duct and heatsinks are also here. My Intel P4000M chassis will be here tomorrow, and then I'll just be waiting on the HGST 4TB NAS drives that I ordered from Newegg today for about $140 each. Can't wait to get everything running.

Attachments

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
I would suggest avoiding the passive Intel coolers and duct if you intend on using as a desktop workstation. The Nidec case fans do not have a pleasant motor noise, and replacing them with lower RPM/more pleasant sounding fans will not provide enough CPU cooling.

Adam Miller

Sep 14, 2016

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Thanks for the tip, I actually chose the bigger Intel Passive heatsink Intel AUPSRCBTPL Passive Heat Sink for S2600CP S2600IP 2600CO P4000IP UU3 SD
These look nice and reasonably priced but i always wonder if passive cooling is good enough for the 100W+ cpu. esp if they re on 24/7 at load in a server environment.

These are what I used in my WS build:

Raijintek AIDOS Black, 4 6mm Heat-Pipe, 92mm Pwm Fan, Compact Size CPU Cooler, Multiple Mounting Kits for Intel & AMD-Newegg.com . The price is just recently reduced by a few bucks. The only disadvantage about this one is that because it's a universal kit, the mounting is a little bit more work than the dedicated 2011 units but then again you can recycle these for another build later.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
These look nice and reasonably priced but i always wonder if passive cooling is good enough for the 100W+ cpu. esp if they re on 24/7 at load in a server environment.
...of course they are (speaking of the AUPSRCBTPL heatsinks with the proper Air duct). Intel engineered the P4000M chassis with those heatsinks and air duct for the s2600cp board and xeon e5-2670's....

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
...of course they are (speaking of the AUPSRCBTPL heatsinks with the proper Air duct). Intel engineered the P4000M chassis with those heatsinks and air duct for the s2600cp board and xeon e5-2670's....
Similar type of set up on my dell t5500 with front fans and air duct to the heat sink. i guess there are several ways of skinning a cat but i can't help thinking that the front fan would not be as efficient as a dedicated fan that is closer and connected to the actual heat sink bc the front fan is also moving a lot of air that also bypass the heat sink itself.

hatchna

Feb 17, 2016
I've now had my server up and running for about 1.5 months now, and it's been running flawlessly. I set it up with Proxmox, and have set up several VM's on it. Temps are surprisingly low. Even when it's under heavy load, the passive heatsinks do a good job of controlling temps. Noise is also manageable. It really is only loud on initial power-up until the fans spin down.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I've now had my server up and running for about 1.5 months now, and it's been running flawlessly. I set it up with Proxmox, and have set up several VM's on it. Temps are surprisingly low. Even when it's under heavy load, the passive heatsinks do a good job of controlling temps. Noise is also manageable. It really is only loud on initial power-up until the fans spin down.

Good to know! i am sure intel engineers tested it out well.

I guess in my scenario of constructing a WS with the S2600 inside a phantek case which does not have the correct front fan setup for any kind of air duct a cpu fan is needed....

jeffmcjunkin

Oct 30, 2014
Good to know! i am sure intel engineers tested it out well.

I guess in my scenario of constructing a WS with the S2600 inside a phantek case which does not have the correct front fan setup for any kind of air duct a cpu fan is needed....
With the Phantek case, I just put two of the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO's on yesterday. I'd highly recommend them. They fit like a glove, after I remembered to move the screws to the 2011 position. I love that cooler... less than whisper quiet on low settings, with low temperatures.