Recent content by Zuhkov

1. Z

How to get beep codes on Xeon-D platforms?

Given that the seller (assuming we are talking about the same one) still has a large quantity of the board available, you should be able to work with them to get a replacement. I will say I'm really happy with mine, so I would encourage you not to give up on it.
  2. Z

Help! Is my Xeon-D build dead?

I have one of these boards as well. If I recall correctly (can check when I get home), the MAC address for the IPMI port is on a sticker on the top of the port. Once you have the MAC, you can go look for it in your DHCP lease table and get the IP address, assuming the IPMI is set to use DHCP. If...
  3. Z

Hosting Multiple Web sites from a single site

This is a very common arrangement in production setups of all types. You have a static IP that points to something running a reverse proxy such as HAProxy or NGINX. The reverse proxy does TLS termination (potentially using a wildcard cert as @Blinky 42 suggested) and uses SNI in order to...
  4. Z

Choice of atom cpu for a selfbuilt pfSense firewall

I have a C2750 running pfSense in production (still getting familiarized with it, as it's a recent addition) and I've been very happy with it. I went ahead and ran the benchmark that was in the graphic you linked and here are the results: Doing aes-128-gcm for 3s on 16 size blocks: 22053168...
  5. Z

Prime Day Deals Thread

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch TL-SG105E Robot Check $24 after coupon. Not the cheapest it's ever been, but well below the average price. Edit: 8-port from the same line (TL-SG108E) for the same price, no coupon required. Robot Check
  6. Z

SM 835 chassis $100 + shipping

Look at the supplied picture of the power supply. Model number including the "SQ" is in the lower left.
  7. Z

Can I connect server to CX-4 on back of D-Link DGS-3420 switch?

Not familiar with that particular switch, but I did exactly this with an LB4 switch that has 4 CX-4 ports. Used Myricom 10G cards and DACs to connect them to the switch. Eventually moved to a newer switch with SFP+ due to the noise, but it worked quite well for several years. Critical question...
  8. Z

Supermicro A1SAi-2750F-O mini-itx motherboard $120 *soldout*

Will you reply back on the seller's position? Mine is similarly working fine, but the IPMI is non-functional.
  9. Z

Booting from unRAID flash drive in ESXi guest

You can also use a Plop CD ISO to boot to the flash drive (no passthrough required). That's what I've done for years. I will say that the VMDK solution boots MUCH faster, but using Plop is very simple and does not need to be updated as new unRAID versions come out.
  10. Z

Interesting ITX Socket G2 (laptop sandy) Dual Intel NIC, vPro: $55 shipped

I can confirm that an 8GB stick works just fine with both the B830 and the I5-2520M. I don't have two 8GB SODIMMs, so I haven't tested 16GB total. There are CPU FAN settings in the BIOS (will need to go back and look where). After playing with those, I was able to reduce the noise a bit when...
  11. Z

Need advice on SE3016 and dell perc H200 card

I would be very intrigued to know. I know some expanders offer that flexibility, but I had not heard that about the one in the 3016. I believe my Chenbro 12803 is explicitly only single input. Have you benchmarked the performance using your expander? It would be interesting to see what gains you...
  12. Z

Create your own router/firewall/content filtering/protection for free

Another vote for Sophos UTM (previously ASG)
  13. Z

HP DL320s ZFS PLEX server

Very interested to hear how your build goes. Are you planning 1 5-drive RAIDZ pool? I use unRAID virtualized under ESXi for media storage (including Plex and SageTV) and backups, but I have been experimenting with ZFS (OI virtualized under ESXi) though just for VM storage.
  14. Z

Need advice on SE3016 and dell perc H200 card

I'm pretty sure the 3016 is not dual input. It's one input and one output for daisy chaining. The SATA2 expander inside is the bottleneck. So you just need a single card with an SFF-8088 port. Alternatively, you could get a cheaper card with SFF-8087 ports only (like a used M1015) and an...
  15. Z

Upgrading ESXi v5.1 to v5.5?

I'm sticking with 5.1, at least for the time being. You should be able to make an image of the flash drive (using dd or something similar). The main thing that is not undo-able would be if you upgraded the virtual hardware of any of your VMs to version 10. There are ways to re-create the VM...