Recent content by zogthegreat

1. zogthegreat

Hardware to run pfsense ?

@kapone You wouldn't mind giving us a breakdown of your hardware, would you? Nice setup. BTW!
  2. zogthegreat

WD RED drives and small file server w/ ZFS

I'm planning to run several VM's on this setup, Win 10 w/ video and USB passthroughs, OS X, also with video and USB passthroughs, a NextCloud server, because lossless FLAC may only take up 1TB, but my 15 year old daughter with her iPhone camera can hit the multi TB stage real fast! :) Plus, I...
  3. zogthegreat

So I thought that I would follow up with what I went with. I got 2 x's 200GB Intel DC S3700's for my OS and a 400GB Intel DC S3700 for my SLOG drive. I also got 2 x's Seagate 8TB SAS drives, (ST8000NM0065), for data storage. Although right now it's more storage than I need, I'm planning ZFS for...
  4. zogthegreat

Using a server PSU for 12v power supply

Hi @RedX1, Thanks for the information/help. Fairly simple, once you know what to do!
  5. zogthegreat

Using a server PSU for 12v power supply

Hi everyone! I'm upgrading an old PrintrBot Plus 3D printer. This is the original PrintrBot and there is no support for this printer anymore. I'm using a BigTreeTech SKR-E3-DIP for the new controller and a BigTreeTech BTT-TFT35-E3-V3.0 for the display. I have an old Dell server PSU that I...
  6. zogthegreat

How to passthrough PCI-e USB card with Proxmox 6.3

Hi everyone! I'm setting up a Proxmox server and one of the things that I would like to do is a passthrough for my add on PCI-e USB 3.0 card. I have found plenty of instructions on how to passthrough a USB stick, but I can't find anything on passing through the actual USB 3.0 card. Does anyone...
  7. zogthegreat

HP Proliant DL380p G8 vs Dell PowerEdge R720

Hi everyone! I wasn't sure which category to post this, moderators please repost to the proper thread if necessary. So I've been running my home server off of an Asus Z9PR-D12, However, the board has been slowly dying and I'm looking to upgrade to something a little less flaky. I'm leaning...
  8. zogthegreat

Hey everyone, thanks for the advice. Right now I'm leaning towards HGST 8TB SAS drives, (HUH728080AL4205). They are selling on eBay for $109.00 USD with free shipping. HGST 8TB on eBay Since my budget is tight these days, I can start buying one drive a month for four months and create a...
  9. zogthegreat

I think that I've found a simple solution to my question. There are 8TB Seagate EXOS 7e8 for sale on eBay for $120 USD with shipping. Same price per TB as the WD Red's and I will use less drive for the same amount of storage space.
  10. zogthegreat

Hi everyone! Happy New Year! Let's hope that this one is better than the last! Although, let's be honest, the bar is rather low here! ;) So I'm planning to up grade my home file server. Here's my current hardware: Asus Z9PR-D12 motherboard with 2 Xeon E5-2620 2.0ghz ASUS PIKE 2008 RIAD flashed...
  11. zogthegreat

Intel DC S3500 vs Kingston HyperX for OS/SLOG drives

Thanks @Magic8Ball . I agree that recompiling the drivers every time that there is a kernel update is to much of a PITA for a server that I want up 24/7. Although it would have been fun to play with new hardware, (full disclosure, I'm a "hardware whore" ;) ), I think that I'll go with 2 S3700...
  12. zogthegreat

Hi @Magic8Ball , do you have a link for the thread that you referenced? I did a forum search and ended up with a lot of advert's selling the drives, but not much info! However, doing a quick Google search turns up that to use a Fusion drive with Proxmox, you need to compile your own drivers for...
  13. zogthegreat

OK, thanks for the advice everyone, especially to @gea, nice explanation that you gave me there! After reading up on everything that all of you have suggested, I'm thinking of going with the following: 2 Intel SSD DC S3700 200GB (SSDSC2BA200G3) @ $40 USD each - for my OS drives, (mirrored)...
  14. zogthegreat

I'm a beginner to zfs, that's why I'm asking questions. What I want is a home server that can act as a file server and also run about 5 - 6 VM's. I'm using an Asus Z9PR-D12 motherboard with an Asus PIKE2008 RAID controller that has been flashed into IT mode. It has 2 Xeon E5-2620's 2.0 ghz CPU's...
  15. zogthegreat

Hi @i386 ! Thanks for the information, you answered my question by pointing out that the Hyper X is consumer crap. I will go with the S3500 drives, (unless there is a stronger recommendation for the Fusion-IO drives). My current zpool is raidz2 mirror setup with 6 x's 2TB drives that I will...