Recent content by zir_blazer

1. Z

Q670 with vPRO NAS Board!

Why not W680 Chipset instead of Q670 so that we can use DDR5 UDIMM with ECC? Also, the screenshot is most likely wrong. With only 2 slots, you can currently max out at 96 GiB RAM, not 192.
  2. Z

A cost-effective Intel W680 ECC server: repurposing an HP Z2 G9 motherboard

Working as intended. Alder Lake supports DDR5 4800 MHz and Raptor Lake 5600 ONLY IF THE MOTHERBOARD HAS ONE SLOT PER CHANNEL. Motherboard has 4 Slots? 4400 max for best case, which is 1 DPC installed. You could check with ThrottleStop or Intel XTU in Windows what the PL1/PL2 values are.
  3. Z

LSI 9300-8i SR-IOV

You do absolutely NOTHING with that alone. The card drivers have to actually enable the Virtual Functions. Plus they have to... do something when you pass them. No one knowns how the whole piping is supposed to work. Want another example? Intel Tiger Lake, Alder Lake and Raptor Lake IGPs have...
  4. Z

LSI 9300-8i SR-IOV

You may very likely even encounter at least one thread from myself in this very forum about SR-IOV on SAS Controllers, and the conclusion is that there is barely any proof about anyone getting it working, nor explaining how it works, not how to configure it. Yet SR-IOV itself was on the product...
  5. Z

Alternatives to Asus-W680

That board lacks a BMC thus is not considered Server, which the ASUS W680 and the other AsRock Racks do have. If you paid attention to the PCB, you would see the solder spots for such a chip. There is another board based on the same PCB with that populated, the EC266D4-4L. It is based on a C266...
  6. Z

Alternatives to Asus-W680

There are not many alternatives in the realm of LGA 1700 with BMC and ECC. It is either W680 Chipset or R680E (For embedded/industrial. About the same than W680 but with no overclock), and at that point your only viable choices are either the ASUS W680, the AsRock Industrials (No BMC) or the...
  7. Z

2011 v2 system not able to load graphic drivers when having 1TB+ ram

What do you mean with video driver? Are you talking about Option ROM on POST or after OS boots? Do you get video output on a monitor plugged into the card when it POST in that condition? What about BMC video output or remote? You need A LOT more details about that. If anything, I would point my...
  8. Z

Intel Xeon E-2400 series Raptor Lake-E for LGA 1700

They were officially released. SKU data available on Intel Ark site. Instruction Set Extensions: Intel® SSE4.1, Intel® SSE4.2, Intel® AVX2 So no AVX512? Meh. Also note that the release slide claimed DDR5 2 DPC up to 4800 MHz, which would be higher than the 3600/4000 that all other Raptor Lake-S...
  9. Z

Intel Xeon E-2400 Series Brings Rocket Lake to Servers

Is that the only info we have about those? Not even an announcement about the new C260 series Chipsets or if the Raptor Lake Xeons have AVX512 support? The only thing that seems curious is the claim that they do DDR5 2 DPC up to 4800 MHz, which would be 800 MHz higher than Core iX Raptor Lakes...
  10. Z

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

I recall reading an article somewhere (Tom's Hardware IIRC) that also mentioned that a Raptor Lake Refresh worked out of the box with an older BIOS that expected. Is likely than 14600K and 14900K works because they're pretty much 13600K and 13900K with new names, but 14700K may not due to the...
  11. Z

Intel Xeon E-2400 series Raptor Lake-E for LGA 1700

According to WCCFTech and CPU-World, which sourced this from a leaker in Twitter, Intel will revive the Xeon E line with several Raptor Lake-E SKUs which will only have P-Cores enabled, up to 8. I would assume that all models should use the Raptor Lake B0 8P + 16E die, which would make them...
  12. Z

Xeon or Core i3 for Supermicro based build?

Tell your friend his 13100 doesn't support ECC. On Alder Lake/Raptor Lake, you need 12500/13500+. Core i3 supporting ECC was for older generations where Xeons E3 didn't offered cheap Dual Core models so you have Ci3 supporting ECC whereas Ci5/Ci7 didn't. This is not the case anymore.
  13. Z

Q670E does not support ECC which is the big selling point of the W680. The only other Chipset that does is R680E, but you sacrifice overclocking capabilities, and not sure if there are any other reelevant features: Intel product specifications
  14. Z

I'm looking for W680 boards that have Intel Boot Guard disabled and ME in Manufacturing Mode (Albeit I recall than on some boards this was a Jumper, so it may potentially change) to propose as possible targets to port Coreboot to them. My prefered target was the ASUS PRO WS W680-ACE (IPMI or...
  15. Z

AMD EPYC Embedded 9004 Series Launched

I recall than the EPYC Embedded 3000 series models based on double Zeppelin dies ThreadRipper style weren't particularly popular, saw few products using those. So, aren't these Genoa stupidly big for embedded? The Dual SPI thing reads almost like a sort of PSB (Platform Secure Boot) replacement...