Recent content by zir_blazer

1. Z

Do same Architecture CPU's have the same IPC potential?

The Xeon has a 600 MHz higher Turbo, twice the Cache L3, and probably some Meltdown and Spectre Hardware mitigations that reduces the penalty compared to pure Microcode update fixes like those of Kaby Lake. So no, no chance than the Core i3 performs better. Whenever you want to pay for the Xeon...
  2. Z

Supermicro AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro Launch

The M12SWA-TF seems amazing, more so since we finally get to see the AST2600 BMC in action. However, it had a few details I don't understand. First, it STILL has VGA, where one of the important features of the AST2600 was the introduction of DisplayPort. Second... why Aquantia 10G NIC? Wasn't...
  3. Z

A Hardware enthusiast view on the usefulness of open source Firmwares like Coreboot

This Thread makes me think it is a good moment to bump this one. Just image if Supermicro decided to drop the ball on X9 series users and tell them "you're on your own". More water for this windmill then, heh.
  4. Z

SuperMicro X9 E3 boards - December 31, 2020 BIOS bug

I want to take this opportuity to post THIS again. Another reason to add to the list why open source Firmware alternatives are long overdue.
  5. Z

SR-IOV issue

Sadly, I arrived too late for this one. Consumer Intel Processors does NOT support ACS on the Processor integrated PCIe Controller. This also applies for the Xeon E3 line, so anything using the consumer Sockets is a big no-no. I'm not sure if the latest Socket supports it or not, though, at...
  6. Z

AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 6800 XT and 6800 Launch

Still waiting for SR-IOV on consumer cards. Even 2 Virtual Functions would give them a massive advantage over nVidia offerings for general virtualization/passthrough scenarios. nVidia recently teased it then backtracked.
  7. Z

Dell and AMD Showcase Future of Servers 160 PCIe Lane Design

The topology photo below "Here is a topology map with the OCP NIC and 96 lanes in 24x NVMe devices." gives a 404 if clicking. https://www.servethehome.com/?attachment_id=47659
  8. Z

Intel Xeon E7-4800/800 V3/V4 CPUs in servers/motherboards made for V2 CPUs

LGA 2011-2 was a bit special since you had Processors without an IVR (Integrated Voltage Regulator), Ivy Bridge-EX v2, and those with it, Haswell-EX v3 and Broadwell-EX v4. On consumer market and HEDT, the IVR was the justification to come up with new Sockets for Haswell/Haswell-E (LGA 1150 and...
  9. Z

ASRock Rack TRX40D8-2N2T Bringing AMD Threadripper to Servers

No Block Diagram? These are always useful. I have check the Manual and it doesn't have it, either...
  10. Z

ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AMD Ryzen Server in mITX

AMD Chipset slides pointed out that only X series Chipsets allowed for bifurcation to 8x/8x, while the B and A series are 16x only. I don't recall a single time that AMD said that consumer Ryzen can do 4x/4x/4x/4x, albeit I know that the silicon can do it. Getting the Chipset involved is like...
  11. Z

ASRock Rack X570D4I-2T AMD Ryzen Server in mITX

The most interesing thing is 4x/4x/4x/4x bifurcation, which means that Matisse supports it and that there is no reason for not having it in other Motherboards. I do agree that it seems extremely niche. ITX is too small for this. SODIMM, nonstandard heatsink, the freezes due to Chipset...
  12. Z

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

Sound Cards and most USB Cards doesn't need a full fledged 16x PCIe 4.0 slot, they would do roughly the same on 1x PCIe 3.0, so I wouldn't even count them. And usually you can get by with USB Sound Cards or USB Hubs. Multiple SAS Controllers or NICs with multiple Ports, or a multitude of...
  13. Z

ASRock Rack ROMED8-2T Review an ATX AMD EPYC Platform

As much as I love the Motherboard, I'm not convinced on doing 7 16x PCIe Slots on ATX because for anything that involves GPUs, you usually have Dual Slot cooling solutions, and that means that only 4 slots are actually usable, as the coolers doesn't allow you height to actually plug something...
  14. Z

NVMe - make the most of your PCI-e Slots (How-to config Supermicro boards for AOC-SLG3-2E4T et al)

No, cause you need a OCuLink Port that comes from a configurable controller that can selectively output either PCIe and SATA on the same pins, which that card doesn't has, as it seems to be based around a standard PCIe Switch (It has a heatsink covering it). Also, if your Motherboard supports...
  15. Z

Epyc 3000 platforms beyond mini-ITX

I'm not a fan of those mITX designs where the Socket is almost as big as the Motherboard itself. AsRock already has experience doing things like that since the days of the X99E-ITX/ac, but I think that it is stupid and wasteful to design for platforms intended to have plenty of expansion options...