Recent content by zack$

1. Z

Motherboard choise for storage server?

Confirmed that no alarms/low-rpm issues with 3 pin fans on most supermicro MBs. I think some special 1U MBs do require a minimum rpm or they go nuts.
  2. Z

Do you plan on populating the internal HDD tray? If so, that 80mm front fan needs to push enough air through the HDDs and cool the passive heatsink when needed. Maybe you might have issues if you have heavy transcoding on the CPU from time to time? Low-rpm noctuas may not do a good job there...
  3. Z

I just use a fan controller or 3-pin fans that I'm comfortable with db/airflow.
  4. Z

Consolidation advice

So you can go the road more travelled: SV-X10SLH-N6-ST031-Supermicro 1U Firewall Server W/ X10SLH-N Or less travelled but exciting: https://www.servethehome.com/our-switchnaserver-or-qnap-qgd-1600p-review/
  5. Z

Nytro 5000 1.92Tb XP1920LE30002 $199.99

And here's the ebay link: New Bulk Seagate XP1920LE30002 Nytro 5000 cMLC NVMe PCI Express 3 x4 M.2 SSD 763649094747 | eBay
  6. Z

Purpose of low end SKUs

Storage
  7. Z

From E5-v4 to Xeon W. A worthy upgrade?

Bummer. If the x8 slots were "open" you'd be fine though.
  8. Z

What about: X11SRL-F | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. Edit: Supermicro X11SRL-F - Motherboards, UP Xeon
  9. Z

So am not the only one looking at this...With the trend of the W-21XX and W-22XX CPUs also dropping, I might skip buying more v4s despite the prices now. From a bird's eye view, single core performance is better and so to is power consumption. You also get more pcie lanes and rdimm and lrdimms...
  10. Z

EVGA midweekmadness 1080ti's $350 & 2080ti's $550 x99 motherboard $99

I see some x99 boards. Some here have been looking.
  11. Z

HGST 8TB SAS HUH728080AL5200

16 more in stock
  12. Z

SR-IOV on Ampere

So the answer is a "No" for the time being. If SR-IOV exists on the hardware, how difficult would it be to eventually enable it?:
  13. Z

Mikrotik 40Gb Interface Configuration - 4 ports?

Yes, you can try bonding.
  14. Z

Mikrotik 40Gb Interface Configuration - 4 ports?

AFAIK hw switching is supported on certain modes. LACP, I believe, does support it.