Recent content by Xoid

1. X

Intel server PCIe passthrough stuck on "Enabled / Needs Reboot"

I'm generally familiar with and used to using ESXi and don't really feel like going down the road of converting all my existing VMs, although there are some features I'm missing with the free license I'd like to use and I don't feel like paying for VMUG. I am building a couple new nodes though...
  2. X

Well upgrading to ESXi 8.0 seems to have done the trick. My hardware is too old to be on the HCL but it seems to be working, and all devices can be set as active for passthrough without any issue. Haven't copied my VMs over yet for testing but it's looking good. Wish I could figure out what the...
  3. X

I should have mentioned, I did try in Windows earlier and was able to passthrough all devices to a single VM, so no issues there. Seems to be VMWare specific. Unfortunately I didn't get any traction on the subreddit, but I guess I'll try the VMWare forums next. Might just chalk it up to ESXi...
  4. X

@DavidWJohnston Thanks for catching that, I actually did set VMkernel.Boot.disableACSCheck to True but wrote it incorrectly in my OP. I set it to True again, but still no dice. I'm not sure it would be a factor in my case anyway as my server supports ACS. Toggling passthrough off & on also...
  5. X

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I think your ambitions are noble, but it's probably not worth the effort. It won't really be a selling point, if anything it will be probably be a headache for the new owner. Most people are content with their ISP router/modem and a dumb switch. The only selling point is the wiring. But that's...
  6. X

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Anyone know if any of these switches are short depth (i.e. 14" or shorter)? With 12x or 24x SFP+ ports? Understandably the short depth is not very popular in enterprise so there's not many around, but wondering if any were made and if there are any model numbers I should be looking for.
  7. X

I'm having some issues with PCIe passthrough on my server and hoping someone would have some pointers for me. I have an Intel R2312WTTYS server with an S2600WTTS1R board, 2x E5-2699 v3 CPUs, and 128gb of RAM. This server is running ESXi 7.0 U3 (ESXi-7.0U3g-20328353). In riser slot 1 I have a 2...
  8. X

Hospitality APs for WiFi 6 home wireless? Ruckus H350, Aruba 500H, Extreme AP302W

Thanks for all the feedback guys This is my backup plan and what I do currently at my condo. I could probably just toss one regular AP in the TV stand in the living room and call it a day. The wall plate APs just seemed like an interesting alternative since I'd need switches in the bedrooms...
  9. X

Hospitality APs for WiFi 6 home wireless? Ruckus H350, Aruba 500H, Extreme AP302W

Soon I will be moving into a new townhouse and I am looking for solutions for a new WiFi 6 setup. The developer has run CAT5e to most of the rooms, but only a single drop to each room. Before you ask, no it was not possible to get them to add drops for ceiling mounted APs. I had to pull their...
  10. X

US $192 ($190 BO) Great deal on a Quanta D51B-2U 2u Chassis

It's from Esiso, I used Rich's link in the first post of this thread
  11. X

My chassis finally made it over the border and I picked it up today. Came with rails, all the drive trays, and SAS card. Mine was also in brand new condition, with packaged power cords and plastic film still on the top. Going to populate it later today and see how it compares to my Intel...
  12. X

Sweet, mine should arrive in Washington on Wednesday, then I have to get it forwarded over the border. Hopefully wont take too long though. I'll let you know if I need any of those drive trays :)
  13. X

Maybe that's the case, I just took a quick look at eBay to see what the averages were. But I don't think $39 for 16gb is that unaffordable. Depends how much you need I guess. DDR3 has also been basically obsolete for at least 5 years at this point.
  14. X

It's not that bad, you can find deals if you look. Here's some 16GB DDR4 2133mhz ECC for just $39 ea. A 16GB DDR3 ECC module would only be like $5 or $10 less. You could probably offer less if you're buying bulk too...
  15. X

Thanks so much, I'll let you know how it goes! My Intel box used to be quiet enough, until I threw a GPU in it... Doesn't help that I'm in a 1br condo and it lives in my walk in closet