Recent content by XeonSam

1. XeonSam

Chassis recommendations for GPU, H13SSL-N, and drives

Why would you say the A10 is significantly faster? Can you show me some benchmarks? The RTX 3080 uses the same chip as the RTX A5000 which uses the same chip as the A10. The key here is performance (per watt) and noise level when you're dealing with labs. In terms of gaming, the 3080 is...
  2. XeonSam

Also... drop the A10. Unless you've already purchased or can get it for super cheap. There is no world where a server grade A10 makes more sense than an RTX. If you really need 24GB ram... just go with the RTX A5000. You'll get enough ram for your datasets and you won't have to mess with the...
  3. XeonSam

Or.... just buy an old supermicro workstation. It doesn't need to be AMD and doesn't need to be from the last 5 years. The cases are solid and really cheap if bought used. Chuck out the mainboard and replace with the H13SSL-N. Supermicro used to be all about customization so older chassis/cases...
  4. XeonSam

Your computer case is key. Make sure the fans on them are sufficient. A single rear facing fan will not be sufficient so make sure you choose the right case. If it a single fan, make sure it's a diesel fan... and one that can last 24/7. The temps will not be an issue as long as you can keep the...
  5. XeonSam

What am I doing?

Mikrotik has a cheap 100G switch which is 4 ports. You really need to simplify this. Instead of 5+ switches just get a single Nexus switch like an N9K that supports 100G. Use breakout cables for the 25G/10G. Your lab will sound like a jet engine but this is just too complicated to enjoy :) But...
  6. XeonSam

FS: Lots of Supermicro servers/motherboards, DDR4 RDIMMs, drives, etc

You could fit a fatty GPU in that slot. Yummy
  7. XeonSam

Dude! You said an open office... PLEASE get a workstation. I know so many people who want racked units because it looks cool. Unless you already have a rack and don't mind going with a 4U or larger container, there really is no sense in going the horizontal route. Servers are housed in racks...
  8. XeonSam

FS: Lots of Supermicro servers/motherboards, DDR4 RDIMMs, drives, etc

It needs an AOC for the U.2, right? Would you be able to provide what sorta connection the backplane has for the cabling? Is it the square or the flat (occulink) connection? ...God I love your photos. Everything looks so clear and crispy clean
  9. XeonSam

WTB Dell R640 R740 for testing purposes (or Windows Server 2019 2022)

I got both R740's and R640's for you. The only catch is that I only have platinum.... Our diamond ran our last week. All our builds come with high performance fans, Gold plated heatsinks, P-rated raid cards, and packaged in orignal Dell boxes. Oh, and the servers will smell of lavender (don't...
  10. XeonSam

Prodesk 600 g4, Optane, 2TB sata, nvme

Hope the deal goes good! Don't try to negotiate whhen the prices are good. Worst case: both parties feel bad. Best case: Only one side feels good. GOGO SOOOO DIMMM
  11. XeonSam

WANTED --> AMD 5950x

I feel dumb after thinking i was tryna help
  12. XeonSam

[US][FS] Dell R730xd 24x2.5", dual 2667v4 + extras

I'll pay $500 landed price. The only problem is I'm located in Asia. Fedex will cost you between $400~120 depending on your discount rate. R730's go for $110/piece in quantity over here. This XD is nicer cuz it's specced out. My suggestion: Break the parts out so they're sellable; and list...
  13. XeonSam

WANTED --> AMD 5950x

Got a 5945WX (12C). It's from a Dell workstation... I can check if it was locked using a Lenovo workstation if interested.
  14. XeonSam

[FS] SATA SSD's and ITX/EATX motherboards - Price and quantity modified

There are 3 main reasons for this: 1. They cost more. Example: Dell buys drives from Seagate. They test them; if the batch has more than a 5% error rate, they return them. They then modify the firmware based on blueprints provided by the manufacturer. They test them again with their hardware...