Recent content by ww2planes1

1. W

Rackmount UPS

Not sure if I'm late to this party or not, but I figured I'd throw in some information based on my experiences. I have two UPSs, a CyberPower PR750LCDRTXL2U that I got new in 2014 and an APC Smart-UPS SMT1500RM2U that I got used last year, the UPS itself was made in 2011. I have no complaints...
  2. W

SM X9DRi-LNF4+ Memory Errors when running Dual Channel

Sorry for the delayed reply. It looks like you figured it out, but here is what you asked about anyway... My problem was definitely due to only having two sticks of RAM per CPU and having those in the C1 and D1 memory slots. (Not my own setup, I bought my server off eBay and wrongly assumed...
  3. W

how to tell the difference between "rev A" vs "rev B" supermicro rack rails?

An artifact of how I took my measurements. The inner rail has grooves that the ball bearings go into, and I measured to the outside of the inner rail, but on the outer rail, I measured the distance between the ball bearings: +------------------+ - I measured the inner rail to the outside of...
  4. W

how to tell the difference between "rev A" vs "rev B" supermicro rack rails?

I recently ordered an SM846 system off ebay, and when I got it, it came with mismatched rails (Rev B inners and Rev A outers), so I had to try and figure out which rails were which as well (and then convince the seller to send me a matching set of inner rails, which they ultimately did). My Rev...
  5. W

Looks like it's just that the supermicro board gets really unhappy if you don't go A->B->C->D when installing the RAM. I just got more RAM installed and it's running perfectly fine with 56GB of RAM (7 sticks per CPU). Memtest is perfectly solid, so I think I'm going to declare my new NAS ready...
  6. W

HAH! I knew someone was going to make a beer joke. Nah, I've got 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. It ran memtest86 for 24 hours with the ram it slots A1 and B1, so I think it's good. I went ahead and ordered a bunch more RAM off eBay, once it arrives I'll populate the remaining slots and see if I can...
  7. W

>900watt Desktop UPS?

I found a few options on Cyberpower's website: 1500VA/1050W: Where to Buy OR1500PFCLCD | Product Specifications And another one (if you prefer one with network support): Where to Buy PR1500LCD | Product Specifications And a 2200VA/1980W model, but this will require a 20A outlet (uncommon in...
  8. W

I did wipe both chips with IPA before reinstalling to make sure I didn't have and thermal compound on the undersides. They looked clean. I also did a quick inspection of the sockets and I didn't notice any damage, but it's possible I missed something. I will check again tonight.
  9. W

Hi all. I'm hoping someone here can tell me if I've got a hardware error or if I just have a configuration issue. I'm building a FreeNAS system to replace an old 4-bay Synology NAS, so I just bought a used Supermicro server off eBay. The specs are: - SM 846 case - SM X9DRI-LNF4 motherboard - 2x...