Recent content by wuffers

1. W

Hyper-V 2012 network design questions

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll also be burning some of our unused hours we have for a MS Partner Technical Consultant (since we're a Gold Partner ISV) who specializes in Hyper-V and can hopefully make some recommendations based on our situation. Well, I could just have my team of X520...
  2. W

$67 DDR Infiniband on Windows - 1,920MB/S and 43K IOPS

Performance issues on Win2012 is disappointing to hear. I'll have to test it out myself when the SAN is up. Unfortunately I need Hyper-V 2012 for my deployment.. If it works under 2008 then it should just be a driver update that fixes things..
  3. W

Diskless Boot Over Infiniband help

Thanks for that link, haven't seen it before on my searches. I'm debating whether to go mirrored SSD for boot or Boot from SAN. Pros/cons for both but since budget is limited I'd rather try to test this out before going out to buy 5 sets of drives. I'll let you know how far I get lol.
  4. W

From what you're saying: 3 distinct private VLANs for each of CSV, HB and Live Migration. I can probably combine CSV+HB in one VLAN though, right? VM Network will be trunked (have accces to all VLANs), instead of access to only one VLAN. Still doesn't answer how to wire them physically though...
  5. W

Diskless Boot Over Infiniband help

Did you get your FlexBoot working? I just started looking into this as I will have a few VM hosts that I want to boot from SAN. I have the FlexBoot firmware and some instructions on getting a patched isc-dhcp server going to give the HBAs a chance to get an IP. Haven't gotten that far yet. :)
  6. W

$67 DDR Infiniband on Windows - 1,920MB/S and 43K IOPS

What kind of issues on Windows 2012? I'm about to have a new Hyper-V 2012 cluster set up and I have ConnectX-2 HBAs..
  7. W

Voiltaire 4036 noise

Yes these guys are loud. I was quite surprised at first as well when I was testing them in the lab. I think they are rated at 65 dba or somesuch. Ours are now racked in the server room with all the other stuff. I can't hear anyone shouting for me if I'm working in the server room. :)
  8. W

So I haven't gotten around to posting any details on the SAN / infrastructure upgrade project I've been working on. All the hardware is now in (Supermicro substituted two sets of parts adding to the delay, and I had to wait quite awhile for my low profile Infiniband HBA brackets - but that's...
  9. W

Mellanox MHQH19B-XTR for half price

Works as expected with a QSA on the IB adapter and SFP+ to SFP+ cable direct connect to the X520-DA2.
  10. W

I'm not going to get into the Infiniband vs 10GbE debate here. They're simply two different beasts depending on what you use it for. The Netgear 8 port switch (XS708E should be going for about $1000 street price) with 10GBase-T would make things a lot simpler with cabling (and support for...
  11. W

Sorry guys, wasn't checking the thread and was away on vacation in Europe last week. Aha, yes. I don't need any more for the project and don't mind sharing. The secret was searching for "592520R-B21", notice the R for HP's Renew program. Unfortunately, the supplier I got them from no longer...
  12. W

Infiniband Requests

Thanks for those results. What kind of hardware are you running on? I have an Athlon 64 X2 4600 (2.4Ghz) on one side, and an Intel E8400 on another. I'm actually seeing different ibping results. Intel E8400 as ibping server, I'm getting ~0.200ms. With the Athlon CPU as the ibping server...
  13. W

Infiniband Requests

So I have an official answer from a Mellanox engineer that VPI cards do operate as pure Ethernet without any special firmware ("plug and play" with carrier detect or forcing them as previously mentioned), and there's no encapsulation going on. I've ordered some QSA (QSFP to SFP+ adapters) to...
  14. W

Infiniband Requests

Yeah, I saw the port configs on page 17 of the ConnectX-2 user manual. On page 38 they also show the Windows driver setting to choose the port protocol, but just prior to that the screenshot shows Device Manager with the card as an IPoIB adapter. Does this really function as Ethernet on a...
  15. W

Aha, they were not bought through eBay and therefore not OBO'd. I might have bought out the supply (12 listed, bought 12), so I'm not too sure if more are available. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just yet because I may require more, so I'll share once I determine that my needs are...