Recent content by WilliamArmstrong

1. W

Amazon: Samsung Pro Plus Micro SD 512GB - $34.99

No, but I do for my Steam Deck. :rolleyes:
  2. W

Super cheap LSI SAS3 controller

Just got mine in today. It was flashed with P15 firmware and an earlier LSI UEFI BIOS. Used MediaKAT's WinPE and this command, changing the .efi to .exe, and it flash perfectly, preserving the SAS Address. So the command looked like this: sas3flash.exe -f SAS9300_8i_IT.bin -b mptsas3.rom -b...
  3. W

Lenovo thinkstation/nice server/workstation

Simulator is only text mode, graphics mode errors out. Now I am going to have to find if they have any different options.
  4. W

Lenovo thinkstation/nice server/workstation

This Bios Simulator is sick. Now I need to learn all the things I don't know about. Setting up this for unRaid, and I am pretty sure the Windows specific stuff I can turn off, but better double check. Also, this thing has a PCI slot. Don't try to put your HBA in it, it won't work. Ask me how I...
  5. W

FS: Lots of inexpensive DDR4 16GB RDIMMs

ThinkStation P520 Nearly is the contingency I was fending against. This takes ECC RDIMMs.
  6. W

FS: Lots of inexpensive DDR4 16GB RDIMMs

Sent PM. Checking to make sure these are ECC.
  7. W

E5-2696 v4 22core CPU for $150 or less

Wait, with the BeeLinks and the like, could you just find a sas adapter to the x4 slots? That would solve the not enough storage problem. I know thses are offered on some ThinkStation models from Lenovo and have seen them on ebay. Or just get an adapter. You aren't moving your storage around a...
  8. W

US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Hadn't heard of them, thanks.
  9. W

US - STH Perpetual Freebies Thread

Wow, that is a monster board. What size case fits that? Its custom, so finding one is a little rough. What would shipping be to 04920?
  10. W

Designing 1U/2U/3U/4U rackmount server chassis - these will be going to production - looking for input, ideas, and feedback!

Keep in mind, most of these solutions are for home use with at most a single rack for solutions that are racked. Have you thought about a model dedicated to being mounted on the wall? (Look, we all do it, no one is judging anyone.) By side mounting the motherboard, you would enable the cords...
  11. W

Supermicro SC848 Fan mod

So, might I suggest you try changing the CPU coolers, if you haven't already? Currently those fans are doing double duty by cooling the front of the chassis and your CPUs, if they don't have their own cooling. Using something like the Noctua 3U or 4U coolers made for servers should help quiet it...
  12. W

Relatively quiet 4u 24 bay hotswap chassis

There are lots of guides to quieting the SC846 on here, I am in the process of choosing one as well. The 2 main take aways are to replace the fans for some 120/140mm Noctua or equivalent, and make sure you have or get the power supplies with sq in the model number as they are super quiet. If...