Recent content by wdp

1. W

Benchmarkin RaidZ2 vs vDevs

A single camera file can be up to 200-300 mb/s at full quality in a timeline, a big one at least. But most are around 100mb/s less. Anything that was over 100MB, buckled on mirrored vdevs, stuttering in the timeline until it was cached in the playback on the edit bay. Maybe if it spanned...
  2. W

Well, after two days of real world testing, I couldn't get mirrored vdevs to really stabilize for read performance on media content. Something may have been wrong and being new to ZFS there may have been some behaviors that I can't account for yet. But we couldn't play back a lot of RAW or...
  3. W

Sorry. I was on a tangent earlier. Was finally at a point where I thought everything was working how I wanted, and then in real world usage it buckles. Gonna go wrench on the problem some more and run tests against multiple clients before I post again.
  4. W

SAS drives and TrueNAS

https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-110509
  5. W

Read / Write test (blackmagic) show 650/670, expected from the aquantia 10gbe stock, iperf is solid, Server to edit bay upload is fast (I moved 13TB in 5 hours via robocopy, was 6 with explorer). Download in Windows10 is slow (120mb/s when pulling a file, same file from another server is fast...
  6. W

I don't really have a true user limit in the end. At any given time I have 10 edit bays on the network via an Arista 10gbe switch. 12 spindles won't handle that stream load no matter what hardware it's backed by. I do plan to add an expansion chassis and continue to add more storage at a later...
  7. W

Upgraded the RAM today (to 128gb), racked the server, built out the pool, setup the datasets, configured ACL's, setup SMB, wrote 13TB of data in about 4.5-5 hours which is expected for my edit bays onboard 10gbe aquantia. Read Write tests seem good, iperf is solid. So the basics were done...
  8. W

SAS drives and TrueNAS

I filed a bug report and logs, they actually market the ticket as resolved, so it should be fixed in a future update.
  9. W

Has. Was that approval or concern? budget isn't really a a concern, I just dont want to waste money for no reason. The board is an X10DRH-iT | Motherboards | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. and seeing as how this is the first server board I've ever worked with, as old as it is, it says...
  10. W

So many 2600 v4 sku's...ugh. Looking at 2630 v4, 2640 v4, 2650 v4, 2667 v4, 2690 v4. I think the E5-2690 v4 chips are about $300 used. That looks like the sweet spot. TDP cap is 145, so I think those are all around 135, besdies the 2630. Just not sure if it's worth sinking $700 on a bigger...
  11. W

Thanks for the extra info @Rand__ . That helps me narrow my train of thought a lot. In fio, what do # of jobs simulate? they aren't running concurrently are they?
  12. W

At this point, I just feel like I'm pasting in tests with no clue what I'm actually looking for... fio --name=randrw --ioengine=posixaio --iodepth=1 --rw=randrw --bs=64k --direct=1 --size=2G --numjobs=8 --runtime=300 --group_reporting --time_based --rwmixread=70 -filename=/mnt/tmp/fiotest5.txt...
  13. W

I do video editing, usually with multiple edit bays (other editors) working at one time. My main goal is really just to calculate if the server will handle it, and at what point does it start to bog down or hit it's cap. And then figure out if I can curb off a few potential bottlenecks. I...
  14. W

Sorry for the screenshots..I am relatively new to freebsd and haven't figured out how to ssh into a jail as of yet. @Rand__ Here are those fio tests on a mirrored vdev setup.
  15. W

I'd have to go back and look at the CPU while in tests. At times load was hitting 70% though. Budget isn't really a concern, I'd just like to stabilize what I have and learn for a year or so before I go doing something dumb, like getting and AMD Epyc and 36 drive bays. 4x16 64GB 2133 ECC DDR4...