Recent content by WANg

1. W

Apple Ignites the Industry with the M1 Pro and M1 Max

As does my 2013 Retina MBP13 - although, they made the 2021 machines very close to the Retinas (Magsafe 3 or USB-C charging, which is a slight win), to the point where I actually contemplated buying one on my own dime - 3600 dollars for the full 64GB of unified RAM with a mandatory M1 Max...
  2. W

Eh, is this legit? (MiniPCIe Intel i350 dual NIC)

The card arrived but I ran into an issue...the card is too tall to go into the bottom of my Cisco IEC4650 (I'll probably need to use aviator snips to cut the chassis sheet metal) - I could test it on my Brix5 but that's not the only issue. I'll need to figure out if the cable between the NIC...
  3. W

2 now, I ordered one last night. Expect a review sometime Thursday/Friday when it arrives...it'll go into either my Cisco IEC-4650 or my Gigabyte Brix5.
  4. W

Eh, well, maybe a Mac Mini Pro is in the works - I am pissed that you can't get 64GB of unified RAM on the M1 or the M1 Pro...and the pricing premium is..50 miles north of ludicrious. *ugh*. I have a 2015 Macbook 12 sitting next to me - a 1.3Ghz 5Y71 model with 512GB of SSD - something that...
  5. W

The fast charge mechanism only works for the first 30 minutes...I think that 96w USB-C charger (the same as the existing setup) is definitely needed - Apple didn't increase the number of CPU cores on the bigger Pros, only the GPUs. The question is...would Apple's thermal engineering be up to...
  6. W

The M1 Max has a 512 bit wide memory interface...which is 8 memory channels.
  7. W

The important question here is…has anyone here bought/used one? I want some testimonials before I drop some cash - the pricing is nearly double what I would pay for a quadport i350T4…
  8. W

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10 Plus Ultimate Customization Guide

No. AFAIK all Xeon-D 15xx models max out at 32GB per DIMM unit, so 64 is the max that you can have.
  9. W

Huh. Apple went back to the 2015/Retina MBP design language for the next set of machines. That was a somewhat pleasant surprise. That 800 dollar premium for 64GB of unified memory (on top of the M1 Max mandate) made it really difficult to convince the missus that it’ll be the right path to...
  10. W

Fairly cool - I don’t think most machines with built-in GigE NICs will have nBaseT support. I was looking at the MiniPCIe i350 dualport as the “external” NIC for my Cisco IEC-4650 (the MiniPCIe port is hidden and on the bottom), and since VT-d was supposed to be supported the SRIOV...
  11. W

Honestly can’t tell if this is a real product - will an i350-T2 even fit in such a size/thermal envelope? The manufacturer claims 3w of power usage…?!
  12. W

Compilation server

Oh yeah, that's a good call if you have the room for it. The Broadwell-EPs are 14nm lithography so they should idle lower than their Haswell cousins. Those 16 RDIMM slots are mighty tasty, for sure - my guess is that the machine probably have 4x2GB RDIMMs shipped (2 units for each CPU)...
  13. W

Compilation server

Well, 2 sides of the same coin, really. With @RTM, you gun for more older cores (either 1 or 2 sockets of multi-core Haswell, and 4 server grade DDR4 DIMM slots per socket), and you throw more cores at the problem. My approach is to use less cores, but newer cores (coffee lake). There are...
  14. W

Compilation server

Well, i Well, it won't be for less than 200 USD - the RAM alone (assuming 2x32GB DDR4 UDIMM or SODIMM for 64, and who knows about that) will run in the ballpark of at least 225 or so, or possibly less if you get something (server-like) that can use more lower density units (8x8 GB or 4x16GB.-...
  15. W

Compilation server

That depends on whether the DIMM/SODIMM implements TRR (target row refresh). It's not a JEDEC standard and DIMM vendors don't mention it (unless it's some type of premium that you are expected to pay for), and even then, there is a paper which suggest that it doesn't really mitigate the issue...