Recent content by vl1969

1. vl1969

UPS dead, how do I go about troubleshooting/fix it? (Dell UPS 2700R)

I am not sure about that specific UPS, bit some UPS will not turn on if battery it completely dead.nin fact my apc 1500 unit will not turn on on fully empty battery pack. How I know? Well I have 2 units like this. I got them for free when I bought a rack on eBay. They were laying around for 3...
  2. vl1969

HP T730 8GB RAM 32GB Storage Thin Client

Sorry, it is not Dell. It is Lenovo p58 series sff desktop It is old..
  3. vl1969

Thanks, I am using Dell p58 right now. But it is under powered. I want to see if this thin client will have enough juse to run a simple pfsense or opensense to provide a 1gb routing. I am on Verizon FiOS now with 1gb linkup yet some clients are staggering now and than. It maybe because I run...
  4. vl1969

I am thinking about this one to use as pfsense. Does it has an expansion slot for second nic? The descriptions is not that clear and I do not trust the pics.
  5. vl1969

Supermicro 846 chassis

Aren't sm846 a 24 disks enclosure? You can not drop all 30 in it,,
  6. vl1969

Repurposing a bunch of old servers to something better (150pcs)

Not, sure. I usually have direct access to the machine.
  7. vl1969

Just thought of something else, since you are running Linux, run badblock multiple times with destructive write switch. Should work the same way.
  8. vl1969

Why not run a darik boot and nuke with several pases, Than disburse the raid after?
  9. vl1969

Can someone recommend odb2 to USB or 5.5mm to use with solar panel trickle charger.

Can someone recommend odb2 to USB or 5.5mm to use with solar panel trickle charger. I got a solar panel from eBay. But the cables is too short to reach the battery and the lighter cable is no good as it is off with no key. So I am trying to find an adapter from USB or 5.5mm plug to odb2...
  10. vl1969

How bad can your SMART numbers be on a used HD before you refuse it?

Well my issue would be not ,not able to run smartctl, but to Interpret the results
  11. vl1969

pfsense Build

Nic don't do vlans. Switches and routers do vlans.
  12. vl1969

WTB: 120MM Fan Wall Bracket for 4U Norco

I have a sc486 case. So I just ziptied 3 140mm fans together with 2 strips of 1/2" hardwear cloth screen. You need to figure out how to attached it to the case though. I just use zipties to suspend it resting on the bottom of the case. It works fairly well. Look like a buck job, it is, but works.
  13. vl1969

Big Hardware Failure

This funny, but I just went through a similar, but not as dire, experience with my home server. And am looking for a good step by step how-to on what to do when whole setup fails. Now, my setup did not fail completely. I had one SSD from the mirror die. But it was an adventure to get it all...
  14. vl1969

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

I would be interested in one of this if price match my aloted budget ,. Would you be so kind to shoot a message with price to me? Thanks V.
  15. vl1969

Proxmox w/ 2 NICs on the same network

You can only have one gateway on Proxmox host and it is usually attached to vmbr0 Since you are on the same network do not input gateway info in new vmbr. Just add IP. It will use default gateway automatically. All interfaces will use default gateway setuped on the host by, well, default...