Recent content by vjeko

1. V

Napp IT for proxmox?

gea, I would appreciate if you could comment. With vmware changes with ESXI, I was planning to port everything to proxmoxx - that includes the AiO where I have OmnOS on local drive and the rest of the drives on a HBA. I am far from experienced in the subject, could you indicate what you would...
  2. V

server/workstation case + hotswap

For home lab. It is a combo purpose pc as I will be using it to learn more about proxmoxx and probably moving the NAS to it from esxi. I'm not interested in the "hot" part of the hotswap but rather the ease of swapping drives.
  3. V

Much appreciated. No I don't have a rack. Looks like I need to take a more careful look at the other threads. Before I do that - is there anything special to look for when it comes to the hotswap bays - brand/material/ tray or trayless and do they become problematic/better stay away from them if...
  4. V

I have a Lenovo TS140 server which I made a bit of a mistake buying as it is rather limited in number of drives it can take and power supplied from it's power supply so I'm interested in putting together another low power server/workstation in a case with 8 hotswap drive bays (just for practical...
  5. V

Looking for ideas on extending storage for home aio ZFS/VM + lower power servers

Let me further clarify the problem/question. The TS140 power supply has following outputs: 12V 1:16A, 12V2:18A, 12V3:12A, -12V:.2A and 5Vsb:3A i.e. there are no other 5V outputs, The drive power cables come from the motherboard, so I presume the motherboard is down regulating the 12V supply to...
  6. V

Looking for ideas on extending storage for home aio ZFS/VM + lower power servers

OK, thanks, that is another completely different alternative but again unless I'm mistaken the power consumption of the drives would be a problem and I would need to buy new nvme drives.
  7. V

I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me about connecting power to drives. I've been considering various options (such as mentioned above)and I also saw people transplanting motherboards to other cases but in the original case, the disks were powered from the motherboard (which I presume...
  8. V

N100 small pc as router gets really hot to the touch

I bought something similar with an i3 and 6 ports believing it would run normally. I noticed the heatsink was excessively hot so I opened it up and the SSD was hot to the touch and I knew things were'nt going to work for long if I closed it up again. It's now sitting open with a Noctua NF-F12...
  9. V

This post covers more topics than ZFS but as ZFS storage is most relevant, I wrote it here. History: I wanted to put a ESXI based ZFS/VM server in the cellar. Not being an IT admin/hw expert, I may have had some unrealistic ideas - I wanted to sit in my room and access any VM I wanted to play...
  10. V

Minimal hardware for napp-it all-in-one -- final system configuration

Just curious - what are you using to access the VM's - another pc/ESXI VMRC, PCoIP or ? I bought a Lenovo TS140 (mistake - can't handle more than 4 drives) and a PCoIP zero client which is being replaced by blast - all in the aim of trying to throw everything into one box which I wanted to keep...
  11. V

Newbie need some help with disk replacement for napp-it AIO

I looked at napp-it job-> replication, but I think I need to checkout the options in more detail before using it ;), so opted for mc instead. I went to ESXI web console, clicked on OmniOS, gave mc command. Looking at mc ,was wondering why in mc (attached screenshots) I can see what I think were...
  12. V

I will leave ESXI and OmniOS as is then for now. What is "BE" ? I'm afraid I haven't learnt enough to do the copying/replication and deleting in the following steps - if it's not too much trouble, could you please indicate the steps ? I need to find a good tutorial on this - copy what is on SSD...
  13. V

Hi, Due to Lenovo TS140 psu power limitation, I'm being cautious and want to remove one SSD. At the moment, the AIO looks like this: 2HDD (mirror) + 2SSD (mirror) + 1 local SSD for OmniOS & ESXI I would appreciate if I could get some pointers on how to do the following (haven't grasped things...
  14. V

ZFS AIO

Thanks for the info ! Where is your logging if using a USB for ESXI ?
  15. V

ZFS AIO

As far as I understand , the present installation of OmniOS 151024 (on ESXI 6,5) uses the LSI2008 via passthrough - what components would be in a more professional system which does not need passthrough of the HBA ? I noticed a "note" in ESXI under OmniOS VM->Edit settings: " Some virtual...