Recent content by vingo

1. V

Ryzen ECC board that actually work / confirmed ?

Thx so that is one on the list. Wonder if any mATX or ITX boards do as well?
  2. V

Ryzen ECC board that actually work / confirmed ?

Two quick questions. Hopefully this turns into a list for others to refer to: 1. What ATX boards / CPU combinations actually error correct when using unbuffered ECC ram [Not just run/post BUT actually correct errors] ? 2.Same as above but for any budget mAtc or ITX ?
  3. V

Proxmox isolating vm from host, hyper & user (network and volumes)

Wow really appreciate the help and your time spent replying. Clever approach, assuming that the switch does indeed write protect as intended. Do you mind if post a few questions along the way as I implement?
  4. V

Had thought about one piece of the physical HDD/SSD isolation: -To avoid having to purchase 30 physical drives to pass through, is there a way to virtualise drives or partitions for pass through instead ? -What is the best way to run install, on hdd for proxmox install and another for VMs ...
  5. V

Thanks a lot for helping and taking the time to write the base list. I have a few questions: 1) -> Yes noted, lscpu shows apllied migitations 2) -> ideally I will have many SketchVMs (30-50), is there a way to isolate VM drives from hyper and from each other without passing throughof a...
  6. V

PS: Just forecasting the " dont run sketchy apps " , yeah I need to, just safely : )
  7. V

Need to run some sketchy applications in a linux or windows vm, let's call it SketchVM. What I want to accomplish: - SketchVM to have access to the internet. -Malware on SketchVM cannot infect proxmox hypervisor -Malware on SketchVM cannot infect other vms or write to their drives -Malware...
  8. V

Drive types / filesystem / method to avoid corrupt data ?

Looks like about $500-650 for a second hand EPYC board is the entry price for a mobo only, yikes. Older EPYC CPUs are quite reasonably priced however. For not much more than the cost of an entry level EPYC mobo, I have seen complete Xeon servers listed. Not sure why those boards are so...
  9. V

Thanks for clarifying that is very helpful. ECC UDIMM is more expensive, Are we not able to put ECC RDIMM into an AM4 and run it unbuffered ? (Just a technical side question about Ram)
  10. V

Wow. I thought folks were speaking out against Ryzen + ECC as it is unregistered for potential for some other features not available on AM4 boards. Given what you have said above, Asrock has some great consumer boards like a Pro 4 (supports ECC) that a Ryzen 5950X 16 core could find a nice home...
  11. V

Budget is "flexible", but might rephrase the question to in the second hand market what is the cheapest EPYC CPU+Board combo that will get me started as an entry point to ECC RDIMM and other important features ?
  12. V

Had no idea that RDIMM + server grade board is the only way to go. I was really convinced for a minute that a 3900X + as Asrock ECC UDIMM board would do me just fine. I stand corrected and am looking for alternatives now. Not sure if there are any small + quiet + Not the cost of a used car. Open...