Recent content by user949

1. U

Looking for a CPU + Mobo combo for a home lab

So take the CPUs out and get new mobos?
  2. U

OK. So now you guys have taken me in a totally different direction. One that might save me a bit of money, so thank you! Below are the CPUs I have at the moment if I were to savage existing HP/Dell systems: - 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 2x Intel Xeon 8-Cores E5-2670 2.60 GHz 20M...
  3. U

They Rand__ I appreciate the suggestions. Please keep them coming! I was thinking more about VMware and their recommendations vis-a-vis the number of vCPUs not exceeding the number of actual cores in the host. How strict do I need to be with myself on matching the number of vCPUs against the...
  4. U

Hi Sean, Thanks for the response. I think I am going to go with the Intel Scalable processors, per your suggestion. I feel as though I'm more likely to find better deals on EBay if/when I want to upgrade the processor at a later date/time. What would you recommend for CPU cooling?
  5. U

Hi Guys, I am looking for a mobo + CPU combination for my home lab. Currently, I have 2x monster ESXi servers, each with 256GB RAM and 12+ cores. I'd like to replace that with a small cluster of 3x (or more) ESXi hosts so that if there is a power outage I can shut down all of the non-essential...