Recent content by unwind-protect

1. unwind-protect

Move away from unsafe FAT on USB sticks or disks, use ZFS

You should absolutely avoid USB for any serious storage :)
  2. unwind-protect

I was more thinking about out-of-order writes caused by disk firmware or USB. That would make ZFS quite unsafe wrt sudden disconnects.
  3. unwind-protect

It really isn't quite that clear cut. Reorderings from hardware (or rather, the firmware controlling that hardware) can happen and would leave a ZFS in an inconsistent state on a random disconnect. Even when ZFS only ever issued write sequences that as originally ordered were incorruptible. USB...
  4. unwind-protect

I hesitate about this. ZFS can be very unamused on a sudden USB cable connection problem and the like. Keep in mind there is no fsck for ZFS.
  5. unwind-protect

Cheyenne supercomputer with 8,064 Xeon e5-2697v4 and 313,344GB of DDR4 auction!

I wonder how much the missing cable would run you. Tens of thousands I guess, or maybe even 100k. Depends on whether tranceivers are also missing.
  6. unwind-protect

Cheyenne supercomputer with 8,064 Xeon e5-2697v4 and 313,344GB of DDR4 auction!

Are these just networked dual-CPU nodes, or do they have some system to share memory between cores across nodes?
  7. unwind-protect

Migrate from TrueNAS Core to XigmaNAS?

That does not work when the ZFS pool has features active that the new OS does not (yet) support.
  8. unwind-protect

Lots of Optical Drives

I run a BR writer on a SAS2008 right now.
  9. unwind-protect

Any way to get cheap G34 heatsinks (4U/desktop)?

I have a 4-processor G34 board using 1U heatsinks with random fans blowing at them. It's not thermically stable in summer, aka about now. It isn't very valuable, so I would prefer not to pay 4x $60 on new HSFs. Best I see are the Supermicro HSFs, but you have to pay extra for the G34 clamps...
  10. unwind-protect

Learning self hosted AI/machine learning, budget server build questions

Are you sure that you aren't better off with one powerful generic graphics card? You will lose some RAM, but as you say you don't yet know how much RAM you need with the GPU/accelerator. Either way I don't think you have to worry about PCIe bottlenecks. If you are in the US this system with 4...
  11. unwind-protect

Proxmox Ceph and ECC vs non ECC

What mrpasc said. If the data coming out of that machine have actual function ECC is much better.
  12. unwind-protect

HEDT platform advice

I am not convinced. I would expect that the same problem could appear on your new machine.
  13. unwind-protect

HEDT platform advice

How do you know that?
  14. unwind-protect

12TB 3yr warranty refurbed Seagate for $6.83/TB shipped

Seems like a good buy when you want - raidz3 - and hence 8 drives total - and your budget can't cover 8 large drives plus spare(s)