Recent content by Twice_Shy

1. T

more reliable main OS HDD's? (not SSD's)

Alright well I guess I cant get around it then. Fine the magical wish fairy has made SSD the boot drive. Now I need a second drive which happens to store all my hundreds of Steam games. What are the more reliable drives to go with and do people have any statistical suggestions or expert...
  2. T

I know people mean well suggesting SSD but it's drifting a little off topic... I could go into reasons why but I think it defeats the purpose. Some people still have use or need for a physical hard drive in their desktop or laptop, maybe even their server if they aren't using a workload that...
  3. T

For those of us still on conventional spinning rust for whatever reason, what HDD would you buy and why to be your main drive? Like are there certain value ranges for cost per TB, or notable reliability differences between makers for not a radical amount of money? (assume that things will be...
  4. T

best value shuckable ext USB drives as of apr2020+

I thought part of it was based off older press releases somewhere that suggested 14tb shingled drives were going to be made. If it's 100% that all of the 10/12/14tb WD line are never shingled and there's no changes planned in the future that would be very positive, i'm just trying to get as...
  5. T

BestBuy - 12TB Easystore USB HDD - $180

That is generally the impression I had, at least for the 12tb ones yes... HOWEVER I had read somewhere (I dont remember where) that it might be in the process of changing, so I was hoping once I got a drive I could just try to verify it with that TRIM command or whatever and then know for sure...
  6. T

The 14's are all shingled though, correct? (someone said the 10's were also which i thought was strange that the larger 12's would not be) I have a concern about sustained transfer rate (or does that only apply to writing?) since LTO tapes that cant be fed data fast enough can injure the tape.
  7. T

faster 2.5 external USB drives? (nonshingled?)

Does anyone know what the performance difference of shingled vs nonshingled laptop sized drives are for sustained write when theyre basically clean to start? I'm trying to set up a system for offloading terabytes of field-shot 4k to 6k digital video as fast as I reasonably can. I'd like to...
  8. T

BestBuy - 12TB Easystore USB HDD - $180

Without opening the drive is there a way to verify which type of drive is inside/if it's shingled or not? Do you just run the TRIM command somehow?
  9. T

Yep i've seen those. :) I was just wondering if anything else is even in the running or if that's the hottest trick right now... it sounds like most-to-all are nonshingled fast which is even better for my use. I'd rather have a 12tb nonshingled than a 14tb shingled even at the same...
  10. T

So i've been out of the loop for a little bit. Got held up by college and corona... I'm needing to buy 12-36TB worth of external USB hard drive storage sometime between now and later fall, possibly even thru Dec. To start dealing with a growing data problem which could increase by as much as...
  11. T

Hackintosh - do I go Supermicro, Tyan, Intel, or ...?

I guess I don't understand why virtualization by itself would be verboten though, I just mean there's more chance for 'abuse' but unless youre actually abusing it I dont see the difference. If I load up the same hard drive in virtualization mode or on raw hardware, the same way VMware lets you...
  12. T

Hackintosh - do I go Supermicro, Tyan, Intel, or ...?

So thats why there's so many gigabyte boards listed as supported... are their workstation boards every bit as good as Tyan/Supermicro/Intel in peoples opinion? Thanks for the offer, but I think i'm set on my LGA 1366 build idea IF I can make it work because I want to multiboot it and have...
  13. T

buying an LTO Ultrium drive suggestions?

80-300TB expected minimum writing over the next three years, maybe half a petabyte, possibly notably more if certain projects take off. I have 40tb that needs writing twice to a mirror right now (and might prefer three way) and I want to free up USB hard drives so I can shuck them and build a...
  14. T

changing username/details

Just a mild question... ...since i'm hoping to finally migrate from the semi-lurking question-asking user to someone actually posting (I hope) some interesting projects, builds, and related such over the next few months, what's the recommended protocol (and is it okay) to change a username, or...
  15. T

buying an LTO Ultrium drive suggestions?

Finally nearing the time to drop some coin on hardware. One of the first things on the list is an LTO6 tape drive for an offline media archive and also for backup use. I am wondering if there is any reason to choose one maker (ie IBM vs Quantum vs HP) or model over another. About the only...