Recent content by toomuchstuff

1. T

PCIe bifurcated 4x4 u.2 cards?

Thanks for the replies :) That's interesting, do these work without a SuperMicro board? I'm running several ASRock ROMED8-2T boards. With the retimer on board maybe I can get away with cables on pcie 4, idk, if so that could work with an icy dock setup when I change cases. Thanks for the...
  2. T

PCIe bifurcated 4x4 u.2 cards?

So I've got an EPYC system with plenty of slots and lanes... I set up one of those ASUS nvme x16 cards and that's cool, but I figure why not u.2 enterprise instead. Does anyone have any suggestions for x16 bifurcated (x4x4x4x4) cards? Would love if it would support PCIe 4, but I can live with 3...
  3. T

(back instock) - 480g hgst SSD (sas3) - 60-75$ offer accepted!

The datasheet above claims the drives can be 512, 520, 528, or 4k sector size. Likely a firmware setting. Mine won't be here until Monday so I can't check actual drives.
  4. T

(back instock) - 480g hgst SSD (sas3) - 60-75$ offer accepted!

Thanks for this one, picked up 12 x $60, offered 55 but was countered.
  5. T

Looking for suggestions on nvme/SAS/SATA rackmount chassis

In the end I just decided to keep what I've got. Replaced the backplane with the SAS3 expander model and used a known working controller. Looks like I had both a controller issue and the backplane was toast. I did find this neat 2U SM chassis SC216BE1C4-R1K23LPB | 2U | Chassis | Products |...
  6. T

That's kind of what I was seeing on the SM front as well. Really I'm open to whatever manufacturer, but I'm sure this is another niche case. In the meantime I'll look into a SAS3 expander backplane or some sort of fix for the 846. I'm pretty much running SSDs, but there are some 3.5" drives in...
  7. T

I currently have an SC846 from the X8 days w/ a TQ backplane. Hasn't really given me troubles w/ the m1015 and no real speed issues. Recently I upgraded boards to an asrock epycd8-2t and swapped out the m1015s with a few sas3008 LSI 9300s. As expected I'm seeing a lot higher throughput, but also...
  8. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Updated with sold, dropped price on Xeon-D
  9. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Added more stuff
  10. T

toomuchstuff for sale

Modified listing and added new stuff. More to come as I dig it out.
  11. T

MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM Mini Review Cheap 24x 1GbE 2x 10GbE

Second this, have been running one for the past couple weeks and it's solid.
  12. T

WTB: SuperMicro 825 chassis

I might have one I am planning to sell (pretty sure it is an 825 w/tq anyway), will look when i get home.
  13. T

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X Launch A Threadripper on a Budget

Thanks for giving me a good reason to hold onto this ECC DDR4. Looking forward to these or the EPYC now.
  14. T

Sick and tired of FreeNAS, need alternates>>>

I feel like if you already have ZFS, why not just move it to freebsd and use bhyve for virtualization? If the requirements are NFS/SMB and one VM, that is way easy if you are okay with the CLI. Personally, I don't see any reason to over-complicate it.
  15. T

C6100 Fan speed / FCB

If you aren't too concerned with soldering, I recommend replacing the fans as per another post on STH. From what I remember my C1600 (gone) dropped to relatively quiet once they were replaced. The only issue I had was the fans would spin too low at times and the C6100 would flag it as a warning...