Recent content by TonyA

1. T

How to connect QSFP28 to 10GBase-T? Transceivers or Breakout cables?

I just managed to pick up a HP 3032Q Switch for a great price and am intending to run Sonic on it with Mellanox 100Gb cards and 100Gb DAC cables (it's only going to be for 5 machines max). I notice there's no SFP or SFP+ ports on the switch and short of running some kind of PC based bridge is...
  2. T

Mellanox ConnectX3Pro Questions/Issues

Have you tried.... sudo ethtool -s enp66s0 autoneg on
  3. T

Flashing CX4131A-BCAT (40Gbe) to GCAT (50Gbe) what should I look out for?

Yep, my BCATs are now reporting as 50Gbe supported, however I can't test throughput number till my newly ordered OS2 cabling arrives which is probably going to be early next week now. The 40Gbe support is also enabled specifically, so I don't think you'd get 20Gbe speeds. If you look at my...
  4. T

I won't answer your question directly, will leave that for more experienced others. However, if your machine doesn't support the required bus speeds you won't get 100Gbe speed throughput whatever you do. My Dell workstation would top out around 80Gbe throughput, so for that reason I decided to...
  5. T

Thanks, having had a chance to read further now it looks like I should be looking only at OS2 cabling rather than OM series stuff. Are there other things I should be looking at specifically on the OS2 cabling description to ensure I'm getting the right thing? For example I notice a lot of...
  6. T

So, I think I've hit the limit of my understanding and have made a mistake somewhere. I have the Mellanox cards in both machines working properly and at around 40c from using temporary fans to provide extra cooling till I come up with a better long term solution. I have QSFP28 transceivers...
  7. T

Having now had time to do some further research and having had a ponder about it, I think the solution is to track down something like one of these...... However, in my instance as I'm using a Dell box I'd want to replace the fan with a PWM version, correctly wired as Dell appear to use non...
  8. T

Thanks, I'm pretty sure they're be some headers inside the case and on the mobo, it's just a matter of having to down the box and have a look inside with a good light source. I do know that on the underside where the drives are mounted in these units there are extra fan headers for mounting...
  9. T

I've now updated the 2nd BCAT card and have found using ethtool -m that the temperature limit on the transceivers I'm using is 58c, so that would seem to be the issue. I have no idea if that's a low temperature limit on transceivers or it's the norm. It does sort of confirm though that I'll...
  10. T

I'm not quite sure of your need to post a (my paraphrase) 'you idiot' LoL comment? I'd posted in the forum a few days back that I had no experience in opticals or transceivers and literally started learning about them only a couple of weeks back. I noticed though that you didn't address the...
  11. T

I'm not sure that you read my posts fully as I state the machines I'm using and how I've positioned the cards. It is of course possible that my transceivers are causing the problem, but as I don't think there's a way to probe temps on a transceiver (unless you know differently) than the cards...
  12. T

Don't forget, these have no load on them at all, I'd expect them to get warmer if they were doing 50Gbe copies. I'll have to do some deep dive to see if the transceivers are producing the dmesg messages, the easiest way would be to pull them and see what happens to the card temps, but I'm just...
  13. T

Two cards, one BCAT reflashed and one GCAT, both running 14.32.1010 firmware, in two different T7920s, but both not 'next to' any other cards. 62 and 71 respectively (I assume this is Centigrade). dmesg on both machines is full of...... [37649.408823] mlx5_core 0000:xx:xx.x...
  14. T

Flash seems to have gone OK and ethtool now showing it as a 50Gbe capable device. I've been able to do some card to card pings and even a very quick copy, but the heat issue is causing cutout so will definitely need some kind of customised cooling before I can do a proper test 'under load' and...
  15. T

See, the problem with reading forum postings is that people post hyphens instead of underlines........ Thanks, flashing the BCAT now. The Workstation in question is a Dell T7920 so 'should' have decent airflow and I've deliberately mounted the card away from any others, but its still running...