Recent content by TomUK

1. T

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Been following this series with great interest as I've been wanting to build a 'high' performance k8s cluster at home for ages. These micros appear to tick a lot of boxes, especially in the physical footprint and power departments. The problem at least for me is finding decent spec machines...
  2. T

ASRock Rack X570D4U

The Pro series APUs do - but they are hard to get hold of at retail (at least in EU)
  3. T

X570D4U-2L2T

I believe the APUs have 8 less PCIE lanes, and ECC is only on the Pro versions - unless things are different with Renoir to prior Ryzen APUs which might be worth looking into depending on what your using it for
  4. T

Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD, up to 2000 MB/s - CT1000P1SSD8 $105

I've got one of these and the only kind of use case I would recomend is something like a steam library as the write performance is really bad as soon as cache is full (really really bad)
  5. T

EU Gone - Used 2TB Intel P4600 DC Enterprise AIC HHHL(+FH bracket) SSD - 400 EURO

If 11 PBW doesn't last me long enough I've probably gone horrible wrong somewhere I think
  6. T

EU Gone - Used 2TB Intel P4600 DC Enterprise AIC HHHL(+FH bracket) SSD - 400 EURO

Great news - fingers crossed mine arrive tomorrow in the same state :)
  7. T

Found on Reddit - includes a reply from Intel support:
  8. T

I've just ordered one of these, thanks for the find! Fingers crossed the firmware is sane and updatable (apparently Oracle versions of these can be firmware locked to something without trim support...!)
  9. T

And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

@zir_blazer might be worth looking at Asrock X399m? Has 3 full NVME M2 slots that support NVME RAID and 3 full x16 slots in M-ATX. Reasonably cheap, supports ECC and HCC Threadripper - only downside is it's limited to 64 GB of RAM total (though this might go up to 128 with a new BIOS when 32gb...
  10. T

SOLVED: I cannot format/use HGST Ultrastar DC SN200 SAS NVMe 7.68TB HUSMR7676BDP3Y1

@c steff I get more performance from NVME raid on AMD X399 chipset than I do with the same drives in Windows storage spaces.
  11. T

Even with the 64GB limit - it's still very competitive against the E3 Xeons. If 128GB is needed - first gen threadripper chips are cheap now, and the new Asrock phantom board is as cheap as chips
  12. T

Threadripper startup issue's

Have you only tried a PS2 keyboard? Or USB as well?
  13. T

NVMe adapter for 4 drives

Shame you are limited to low profile, as Asus and Asrock do cards for about £40 here and they perform really well, there's no PLX onboard so the motherboard needs to support 4x4x4x4 bifurcation on one of the x16 slots. Asus card is super cheap and I think it's quite well made (works well with...
  14. T

Threadripper startup issue's

Which slot is your graphics card in? I assume you have no other PCIE cards in the system or NVME drives?
  15. T

Apparently this will get a follow-up release with 10gb ethernet according a French hardware news site (can't find the bloody link now though!)