Recent content by TomKraut

1. T

Fujitsu TX1320 M3 - Cheap low power server (barebone)

There should be no danger to either device. But remember, you have to encode an analog signal from your PC into a digital signal for your monitor. That is a more complex task than taking a digital signal and converting it into an analog one. Furthermore, there is no power on a VGA connector...
  2. T

That... seems very cheap. Might be that I am wrong, but I think those adapters are for connecting a PC with display port to a VGA monitor. They probably will not work the other way around.
  3. T

The mainboard contains a G200 GPU. That is an ancient Matrox IP core integrated into the iRMC, afaik. To any OS, that is a basic display adapter, more than enough for a Linux prompt or even a Windows Desktop. You should even be able to install Windows drivers or use an X environment with it, if...
  4. T

If you want to build a NAS, using the RAID controller is a bad, bad idea (in fact using a RAID controller these days is a bad idea, period). There are countless explanations on the internet why, but it basically comes down to this: zfs on a CPU from the last 15 years is much better than anything...
  5. T

Possible. One of the drives has a trip temperature of 60°, the others' is 85°. I replaced the one with the lower trip temperature. There is absolutely nothing important on these disks and I got them very cheap (10€ each), so I will see how it goes for a while. They are configured as a mirrored...
  6. T

I think SSDs are the way to got here, which is a shame since it means that I got eight 10K HDDs that I got for this server sitting around gathering dust. What frustrates me is that there seems to be no way to control the fans in this server. The SYS2 fan is twiddling its thumbs at 1k rpm while...
  7. T

I recently got one of these nice little machines and printed some of the caddies that da8833 so generously provided. However, I do have a serious problem with drive temperatures: after about 20 minutes idle the four drives I installed to the backplane reached almost 60°C... These are HGST 10K...