Recent content by Tom S

1. T

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

Sorry, I got the Intel version of the memory linked above. I use it in my B650D4U board. It's the same memory, just different overclocking profiles on the DIMM. Since I'm not overclocking or using those extended timing profiles, the Intel vs AMD branding on the memory doesn't actually matter.
  2. T

One has XMP 3.0 and the other has AMD EXPO. Both are for extended memory profiles for overclocking. I got the Intel version and it works fine because I'm not overclocking on this board.
  3. T

There were't any 48GB ECC DIMMs available when I built the system, so I bought a temporary non-ECC set. I bought a G.SKILL 2x48GB kit on NewEgg that was cheap. I ran memtest86 for about a week without problems. I'll get a proper 96GB ECC set once things settle down, but this works for now...
  4. T

I've got an ASRock B650D4U here with a 7950X3D and some 48GB DIMMs. It booted right up with the factory BIOS, to my surprise. I updated to the new BIOS on the website that explicitly the X3D chips and 48GB DIMMs anyway. The only problem is that I can't get the dedicated IPMI port to work. The...
  5. T

Good to see more competition. I like the PCIe configuration of the SuperMicro board slightly better: Both M.2 slots get PCIe Gen 5 straight from the CPU, whereas the second M.2 slot on the ASRock board is Gen 4 and connected through the chipset. The SuperMicro board bifurcates the Gen 5 x16...
  6. T

ASRock Rack B650D4U MicroATX for Ryzen 7000 processors

Your initial thought was correct: The VGA port is for the BMC. By default, the BMC is presented to the system as your primary graphics card. That's why the DisplayPort was blank. You can skip the monitor connection altogether and use the remote KVM functionality of the BMC over ethernet. If...
  7. T

ASRock Rack has another AM5 board on their website: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=AM5D4ID-2T/BCM#Specifications This one is Deep mini-ITX, but retains all 4 DIMM slots. Single M.2 slot, Single 5.0x16 PCIe slot, and an extra OCuLink port for expansion. This board is...
  8. T

Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Good to see them out there, at least in theory. 96GB across 2 DIMMs would be great for my next build. I'm outgrowing 64GB but I don't want to take the memory bandwidth hit of going to 4 DIMMs.
  9. T

The ASRock Rack boards have 10GBe onboard as an option, not 2.5G. They also have models without 10GBe if you’d prefer to have those PCIe lanes for your own use. The PCIe lane allocations on these boards isn’t really a mystery. They’re clearly documented in the manuals. Gigabyte didn’t do a good...
  10. T

The 16-core consumer parts combined with these affordable server boards have been a game changer for affordable servers. The clock speed advantage of the consumer parts gives a huge performance boost relative to the slower clocked 16 core server parts. You have to get into the very high core...
  11. T

Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Throttling is the new normal. With these new CPUs it's better to embrace it and let the CPU manage its own temperature within the bounds of the cooling solution. Going full liquid cooling with giant radiators and liquid metal TIM can raise performance very slightly in these all-core workloads...
  12. T

AM5 and DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

ASRock Rack has announced AM5 boards: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B650D4U-2T/BCM#Specifications
  13. T

ITX Build Options for ESXi

Mini ITX is too crowded to offer 4 RAM full-size RAM slots unless you get an SoC board. The SoC boards are not bad if you're compute constrained. A lot of good Xeon D boards on eBay for reasonable prices. Full size CPUs and their heatsink mounting areas don't leave enough room for 4 full-size...
  14. T

HDCP isn't necessary for a BMC console. :) My background is in hardware development. Basic HDMI isn't really that complicated, and there's plenty of affordable IP that can be licensed to implement it quickly. I'd gladly pay a couple more dollars for a system with HDMI on the BMC than to deal...
  15. T

Good find on that Gigabyte board. If AST2600 supports displayport, I suppose it's on ASRock for failing to implement it.