Recent content by Timbiotic

1. T

(maybe HOWTO) SAS disk power mode control under linux

I recently purchased a 6tb seagate disc for my unraid server but cannot get it to idle into spin down or stand by. I can force it with the sg_start command but that is it. Any ideas why? And if not, is there a query command to see if data has been read or written in the last x minutes so i...
  2. T

Recommend NAS on VM?

Planning on it, at this point I am leaning towards freenas or omnios, even flirting with behyve. Will probably load them all and test. But if I run into troubles with FreeNAS I don't even want to post on their forums. Was just starting to look at NexentaStor, but what about the licensing...
  3. T

Recommend NAS on VM?

Cyber jock is probably the main reason I am steering away from freenas in my next build. Been a happy unraid user for years, but decided I wanted more hypervisor at home. Definitely leaning towards zfs, but haven't landed on all in one choice for os yet. I haven't posted in the forums yet but...
  4. T

Supermicro AMI Bios Password

All set :). I ctrl-c 'Ed out and it said it wrote out so many bytes.. I then booted to freedos and flashed with bios from their site. So far no more password . Thanks!!!
  5. T

Ok booted to Ubuntu and ran the command in terminal using sudo in front since it said permission denied first time. Does it take awhile? It just has blinking cursor and I see dd running in active tasks staying at 6% cpu
  6. T

Ok I will try that, I already have used YUMI multiboot to successfully boot so i can add a Linux distro. What is the NVRAM module you refer to? Is that native? Or do i need to add it? Or does this command load and execute "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvram bs=1"
  7. T

It is the X8DTE. When you wipe it with what you described does that mean it just wipes current settings leaving BIOS settings at factory default? Or no longer able to access bios settings, or bios settings will no longer be retained after next boot? My hope would be just wiping current...
  8. T

I have same issue but after clearing cmos with screwdriver or battery method I can get into bios on first boot and every one after I cannot. There is an option to clear nvram on boot. Should I enable? Somehow the password keeps coming back. I don't understand what you are saying to do. I...