Recent content by thrasher

1. T

What motherboard is the tinybox going to use?

It would seem the idea is this with a pile of risers.
  2. T

Question on SuperMicro H11SSW-iN and BPN-SAS3-826EL1 expander

hmm. you are right, they are very different protocols, but something gives me pause. per the manual, 2 (JSLIM5 and JSLIM7) of my motherboard's 8 Slim SAS x8 ports can function as either "CPU G3 PCIe / SATA." what does that mean to you? if I get a couple Slim SAS to SATA cables, would you expect...
  3. T

i guess that answers it. the LSI3008 controller present on the H11SSW-i/C/NT is missing from the iN. shame the SAS3 HBA interface can't fall back to NVMe/PCIe. thank you rollo!
  4. T

i guess what I'm looking for is a SAS-826A. ordinary SAS 12-port 2U backplane, not SAS3. though my MiniSAS cables won't work with it.
  5. T

here's the question, and maybe it's obvious to some of you. i've got a 2U SuperMicro server with their SAS3 expander built-in. i installed an old stinky H11SSW-iN from ebay on it. (if you sold it to me, thanks!). no matter how I connect the cables, the motherboard (running a stinky old 7551P)...
  6. T

SOLD [USA] FS: EPYC 7502, non-P, non ES/QS, not vendor locked

isn't it only like 15% faster than the 7551p? why is it worth 5x as much?
  7. T

What's a decent modern PCIe or USB wireless access point card?

I guess true wireless freedom will remain in old hardware at least until there's a WiFi 6 AP block in GNURadio. At least I can use an OpenWRT VM on my x86 machine to do firewalling/routing and offload the WiFi duties to another piece of hardware.
  8. T

Great reply, Stephan. I have an AR928X card already that supports hosting on 2.4 GHz channels and does work with ordinary hostapd+ath9k. It just feels a little dumb to not share more than 21 Mbps of the 10GE link with wireless devices. What really confuses me is how people on the OpenWRT forum...
  9. T

yeah it's just not worth it
  10. T

I suppose what I'm doing here is way too stupid to be even technically feasible today. There aren't any good PCIe cards that support WiFi APs, even including the QNAP part. I'll just use the server (or a VM within it) as a router and add a normal AP on a 1GE link downstream later.
  11. T

I'm looking for a PCIe or USB card with an Atheros chipset that I can control with hostapd to create an access point.
  12. T

I have a... fairly dumb setup. But hear me out. My home has 10GE fiber connectivity. If I have a server with some 10GE Ethernet ports and I want to bolt on a modern access point that can make use of the 10GE pipe, what is the fastest PCIe WiFi access point I can buy? I don't have a 10GE switch...
  13. T

Will CPUs ever come to parity with GPUs for ML/AI/compute?

I guess that's it. CPUs are jacks of all trades, but "masters of none."