Recent content by themindiswatching

1. T

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

So, you know how I was saying that the fan noise on the Mikrotik wasn't a big deal? That was before fall hit and it no longer became necessary to run box fans to cool the house down (which were apparently masking the switch's fans). I ended up pulling the trigger on the Noctua fans I mentioned...
  2. T

Does SFP+ 10G RJ45 work in a NIC?

I'm currently doing it with a Mellanox ConnectX-3 and a MikroTik S+RJ10 module with no issues. It even feels less warm than I thought it would, but then again, the run is pretty short and the FreeNAS box it's all in has fairly decent cooling.
  3. T

10GbE network speed slow on Netgear XS716-T

FWIW, my 2017 MacBook Pro gets ~8.5gbps down and ~6 up with only one stream and 1500 MTU (but with window size explicitly set to 512k). Without an explicit window size the upload caps out around 2-2.5gbps. This is testing to/from a FreeNAS box with some of the tuning mentioned here done and...
  4. T

Just tested power consumption. 24W with no Ethernet ports plugged in/active, going up to 28W with the current setup (4 ports active: 2 1Gbps, 1 100Mbps, 1 10Gbps). It didn't seem to make much of a difference whether one or both of the power supplies were plugged in, either, so they're probably...
  5. T

Depends on the home environment. I don't foresee replacing the fans on mine any time soon thanks to the FW update and its positioning, but I can see the fans still being an issue if you have to keep the switch near a work area or something. I do agree that it's not a switch intended for home use...
  6. T

Looks like Mikrotik just released a new firmware update that makes the fans behave a bit better. Besides not needing to go to the Health page for them to spin down, they also turn off entirely until CPU temps hit low-mid 60s Celsius (after which they spin up to 4K RPM until temps drop by 5 or so...
  7. T

I just received this switch yesterday and I found that the fans spin down significantly to around 4000 RPM (and thus produce a lot less noise) if I log onto Webfig and go to the Health page after bootup. Otherwise, they pretty much stay at 6000+ RPM with the associated loud noise. This is...